Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Deep cut Fluting on Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Deep cut Fluting on Barrels

Hello All,

I am interested in purchasing a barrel for a .270Wby.
I would like this barrel to be a large diameter, 26" long but ofcourse very light in weight (for hunting).
Does anybody know of an outfit that cuts deep wide flutes in barrels that would preserve it's stiffness but hog out enough material to make it significantly lighter than the shallow fluting that I see on most comercial barrels which seem to be more for looks than anything else.

Would something like this be a custom job that the barrel manufacturer would design and do or would a smith perform this kind of work.

The reason I ask, is that I was in a gun store several years back and I noticed a .338 sniper rifle that looked like it had a nice thick bull barrel but when I picked it up, it was so light that I had to ask if it was made of some light weight allow. I was told that there was nothing special about it except for the deep cut flutes in the barrel which reduced its weight significantly.

Does anybody know who might do such work or where such barrels might be found.

Thanks,
Vic
Old 06-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Deep cut Fluting on Barrels

You can order a barrel from Dan Lilja and he will cut the flutes into the barrel for you for around an extra $120 bucks. Several gunsmiths do this too. I know John Noveske does: jnrifleworks.com, Grants Pass, Oregon. In fact I think several barrel makers will flute the barrel before they send it out.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

I have the capability to cut such flutes- but would suggest the barrel be rifled but not lapped and then sent back to the barrel maker for final lappping and stressed relieving.
Give Tim North a call at Broughton barrels and he can explain why a bit better than I can.....
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

For the right amount of money you can have your barrel fluted how ever you want. I have been on the phone with several barrel makes ver the past few weeks asking questions about their fluting process. I'll pass along a little of what I have been told.

1) Krieger barrels : their barrels are cut rifles so their is no stress induced into their barrels so when the flute that is the last process. Now their standard flutes are a number of 10-12 their 3/16 wide and generaly only cut to a depth of .040"-.060" deep. the flute for heat instead of weight loss. The will flute your barrel how ever you want but they will not cut the flutes any closer to the bore than .196" price is $95

2)Pac-Nor : they will flute your barrel with up to 6 flutes in a varity of widths from 1/8" to 3/8" and will only cut them to within .150" of the bore. Their barrels are Buttoned rifled so their is alot of stress induced in to their barrels that has to be relieved and fluting will relieve that stress so their barrels have to be fluted before they are finish lapped. Price is $125

3) Broughton barrels : their button rifled like Pac-Nor they will flute your barrel to basicaly what ever you want , but they don't do the fluting it si sent out to sombody else fluted then sent back for the finishing stress relief and lapping , I coulden't be told how deep they would cut them because the guy that does the fluting has a formula ,I'm guessing that he woulden't run the flutes any deeper than to within .150" of the bore either. their price is $160

) Rock Creek : Mike will flute you barrel basicaly as deep and wide as you want , from what he told me the flutes his barrels even before they are cut rifled. He has two styles of fluting , one is the conventional round bottom and the other is a strait walled flat bottomed V taper , from what he says this style is the best because it allows for a thicker "beam" at the bottom. Price is $100

Like Chris said I would definatly have the barrel maker do the fluting so if it does som way affect the accuracy you or the smith can deal with the barrel maker to get things right I don't think that any brand you get is going to make the barrel where it will be unsafe or un accurate.

Here are some calculations to see how deep you flutes will be the barrel is a M24 conture with the muzzel diameter of .900" and bore diameter of .270 and say you barrel maker will flute to within .150" of the bore.
subtract you bore size from the OD of the muzzel
.900-.270 = .630 devide this by 2 =.315 this is your wall thickness. Now subract the minimun wall allowance that the barrel can be cut to from your wall thickness
.315-.150 = .165 that is the maximum depth that your barrel can be fluted to. Those are some pretty deep flutes !!!

Personaly I have decided that I'm not gonna have my flutes to much wider than the "land" between tham will be for example On a M24 conture I'll have 6 - .250" wide flutes , that will give me a land width of .221" I feel that this will allow for a great deel of stiffness yet still allowing for a good weight loss and good surface area for cooling.

Sorry for the long post and any mispelling or hell if this doesen't make any since at all !! I've been coaxing a bottle of Crown Royal this evening
Old 06-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

There is a lot of talk out there about not fluting after the barrel has been lapped and all. On several of my own rifles, I barreled them without flutes, did the break in and load developement and shot groups for accuracy. Then fluted the barrel and saw no adverse effects on accuracy, velocity or any other. Are there any Smiths out there that have actually seen FIRST HAND an adverse reaction to fluting??? I have yet to meet one.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Me either but I do know that if somebdy gets a little crazy with the feed rate on their mill theoey could do some serious damage so I guess that any decient smith woulden't see any adverse effects , BUT , 99% of the barrel makers out their will void any sort of accuracy guarnty if their don't do the fluting for the reason of somebody getting the cutter to hot or trying to make to deep of cuts and stressing the barrel. If your gonna be dropping $300 on a tube , you may as well have the maker do the cutting.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:37 AM

While I am a proponent of fluting heavy target barrels (I have a Krieger and Obermeyer, both of which are fluted), I would not recommend having it done on anything other than a cut rifled barrel due to the stress induced to button rifled and hammer forged barrels. Just MHO.

Don