Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Deciding calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Deciding calibers?

forgot to mention this. I live in IL which deer hunting is done with a shotgun./muzzleloader no rifles so mostly this is goin to be whacking coyotes/punching paper. When I go west I will pack the 7mmWSM.

EDIT: im not caught up in the Magnum race. sorry if i previously stated it that way. i dont care what the caliber is. as long as it does that job I want at an economical price

Thanks
Shifty

Unread 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

shifty06

My recommendation is a 260 Rem. Accurate, cheap, recoil friendly, huge barrel life and Lapua makes brass.

To focus a little more on the switch barrel idea - I have 3 savage actions that I swap barrels around on, the 260 Rem being one. It is pretty simple to change over and takes about 10 minutes. If you screw the barrel down onto a chambered go-gage the barrel always comes back to the same position time after time. I also chamber a no-go gage to make sure I didn’t screw up which I never do but since you are the gunsmith here, you have to make sure.

In particular, the 260 Rem is a Savage LRP. This is a short action target rifle with a no taper target barrel and is a great caliber for lots of cheap practice. You can shoot continuously and the barrel never gets more than warm. It also has a nice HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block. However, when I want more punch and a rifle balanced for hunting I switch in a magnum bolt head and large shank 270 WSM barrel. One of the tricks to making the switch easy is using a Warne 20 MOA rail so taking the scope on/off takes about 30 seconds. You do need a barrel nut wrench and an adapter for your vise to hold the action. I built one out of 2” by 2” oak. I also have a standard shank short action and a long action plus barrels in 22-250 Rem , 7mm WSM, 270 Win and 300 RUM. I now think in terms of buying barrels not rifles.
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you for the clarification on changing barrels. And this approache sounds interesting. Would you care to elaborate a little more with your set up? I'm am very intrigued. I like the idea of never changing the rifle and just changing barrels/bolts. "It would feel like the same old friend"

Thanks
Shifty
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

I keep forgetting ya guys are down in the states where 30 cal magnums aren't really necessary for deer hunting, so I guess none of this will apply

My 300 WSM recommendation was the minimum for where I live and hunt
When I go moose hunting, I am also black bear and brown bear hunting at the same time...
90 % of the time I hunt alone, increases my success rate
I would't be caught dead packing a 308 Win, or anything with skinnier bullets on that case
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for your opinions. and Advice I have a lot to think over now. Almost more that when i started. lol no but really I think I am headed down the right path now. Thanks for the info again.

thanks,
Shifty
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

After reading this thread and evaluating the intended use for this gun I'm surprised at all of the magnum suggestions. I'd take a fast twist 22-250 ai with some heavier bergers over anything that's been suggested. Absolutely amazing what these little guns will do and they're easier to shoot.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member

I have owned a regular 250 not a AI but wouldn't think performance would be that much better. Was wanting something with a little better wind bucking Capabilities. And more energy down range as this will be used for hunting.