Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Deciding calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

Deciding calibers?

I am undetermined in which caliber to order a custom rifle and up for segestions.

Will be shooting out to 800 yds. Maybe even further. This rifle will see the occasional local rifle match. (600yd). But primarily it will be for long range coyote whacking. If I could use it out west that would be great but not expecting so (have a 7mm WhiSuM for that.)

1. It needs long accurate barrel life
2. Good ballistics
3. Ecenomical
In that order.

Thoughts were A .270, 6.5x47lapua, .243 like post says open to segestions I would not be against another WhiSuM but don't think they have a long barrel life.

If you have a segestions please comment why you like/dislike it.

I also roll my own. So loading is not a problem.

Thanks, shifty
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Deciding calibers?

The 270 and 243 are going to have marginal barrel life. Not all that familiar with the 6.5x47 but it should be a real good 600 match gun.

My recommendation would be a 6.5x284 and get the barrel nitrided for easy cleaning and longer barrel life.

One of these days I planning on getting a Copper in 6.5x24 with 26" 8 twist barrel. They're as good as a custom for under $2K.

Other than that, for barrel life go with the 6.5x47.

Good Shooting and welcome to the forum!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Bronze Member

I was also thinking about the 6.5 creedmore and the 260 remington. I heard that the 6.5x284 was a barrel burner. But thats what i have heard not what I have experienced first hand.

Shifty
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, the 6.5x284 will be a little hard on barrels. I've heard some good things about the Creedmore and the 6.5x55 as well.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 AM
Bronze Member

I have also been thinking about just goin with another 7mm WhiSuM and having one with a barrel twist rate of 1-8" and getting the one I have now re-barreled with 1-11" for lighter 100-140gr. bullets for long range coyote whacking.

Another reason is I will not have 2 different kinds of brass, also I already just bought a nice set of 7mm WSM dies, primers, and maybe powder but i would have to test that.

But all that is short term cost savings. when replacing a barrel every 1100-1300 rounds. compared to 2500+ rounds, and savings in powder consumption.

another problem I am having is that I like to shoot one caliber learn all about where and what it does (yardage/wind/temps.) that way when I go on my once a year elk trips I know exactly what my rifle is going to do and I have been practicing all year long and on some smaller sized game.

But If I can find a caliber that has the same ballistics as my 7mm WSM and at better barrel life I would be all over it. Shoot it all year then bring out the "heavy hitter" so to speak when I went west.

I guess that I will have to start looking them up on my ballistics calculator. and seeing what comes close to that of a 7mm WhiSuM. and going form there.

Another driver of this is that i have a right handed rifle and I am left handed. Not a big deal, I have grown up with right handed bolts but man it sure is nice to have a left handed bolt. (had a model 700 sps varmint 22-250 left handed. was the biggest piece of crap i ever owned.) (Now shooting a Winchester model 70) Nice rifle and groups amazing with factory 150gr. super-x ammo. haven't tried reloads yet just waiting on a nice day to go to the range.

I believe this is what they say about having your cake and eating it too. lol

Sorry for the rant just wanted you to be fully informed about what all aspects I am looking at.

thanks!! Shifty.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Silver Member

maybe the 300 WSM is your answer ? it will hit elk harder at all ranges you mentioned..... barrel life is better than the 6.5x84 or the 7mm WSM.... brass can be easily necked up from 7WSM to 300 WSM and vice versa....... the 300 WSM is also proving to be exceptionally accurate and a lot of long range hunters and target shooters are using it.....
how about a switchbarrel ? just get a 7mmWSM barrel and 300 WSM in the same rifle system, save some cash not having to buy an extra scope, mounts, stock, action...etc... use the savings to buy more bullets, powder and shoot more........

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Swamplord; 03-19-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

.308 Win !!!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...nchester-1.php

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 03-19-2013 at 06:44 AM.