Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

David Tubbs long range hunting video.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

David Tubbs long range hunting video.....

I just watched this again, had some down time yesterday with a sick wife and a sleeping little girl. Wanted to watch it and compare it to a Video Shawn Carlock just sent to me.

Anyway, I have great respect for David Tubbs, I have talked to him a couple times and have always found him to be very helpful and a friendly fella to work with and never seemed to PUSH his ideas on anyone. Just says what works for him and lets you decide.

With the championships he has won, how can you argue with his comments.

Anyway, I was watching his video and he was talking about his hunting rifle set up when he was sighting in the rifle. Said he was shooting a 30-8mm Rem Mag, basically a 300 Jarrett.

His load consisted of a 180 gr Sierra loaded to 3430 fps in only a 26.5" barrel.

Does this seem really high to anyone else out there is it just me? I have worked alot with the 300 RUM and it will just push a 180 gr bullet to 3400 fps in a 26" barrel.

Anyway, just curious if any of you with rifles in this chambering or similiar chambering were seeing this level of performance and if so what was the case life you were experiencing.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

I thought I'd seen somewhere that Tubb prefers moly coated bullets. They can be loaded a little hotter than uncoated bullets. Think that might explain his velocity? I don't have any experience with the .30-8mm Rem or .300 Jarret.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

That seems pretty darn high to me seeing that the 8mmMag case even blown out and improved still isin't close to the capacity of the 300RUM case , I assume he is using some sort of custom action to conatin that pressure?

Even with Moly coated bullets that kind of speed seems like it would be well ito the one shot per case pressure range. If you have a load that shoots 180gr uncoated bullet at 3000fps then you moly coat those same bullets and use the same load out of a moly prepped barrel , 99% of the time the velocity will drop due to the reduced pressure , this allows you to add a couple more grains to the case to gain the lost velocity which in effect increases the load density theoriticaly helping reduce the SD and ES numbers. I tryed the moly thing and diden't find it to be worth while.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Jarretts website says 3200-3250 for a 180...

Jarrett Pet Clibers
Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby , the wife got the flu? I'm just getting over it and man it is some nasty funk , ended up having to take antibiotics to clear it up but it still managed to get into the chest now I got the cough and tight chest. And I got a flu shot this year!! If you haven't got it yet start taking some high dose viatim C , 3,000-5,000mg a day and alot of Zinc and plenty of water that'll help you fight it off.

if she starts running a fever take her to the doctor , this stuff ain't nothing to play with this year , they have closed several schools and jobs this year down here due to the rapid spread of the flu.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

James,

Seems to be a 24-48 hr bug. My little girl woke up wednesday night at 11:00 vomitting. By the time the night was over, we had changed her crib 4 times and ran out of bedding for her!!! Poor little thing. Ended up just holding her on the couch from 3:00 until 5:00 and then put her back to bed after the clothes drier got done with one batch of her bedding. I stayed home with her Thursday and she did very well. Did not want to eat much, a slight fever but tough little thing. That was the end of her vomitting and by Thursday night, she was pretty much back to normal.

Then Friday night, repeat the adventure with my wife. At least she can get herself to the bathroom in time!!! Stayed hom on Saturday to watch the little one and let her rest. By that night she was doing much better.

I am crossing my fingers. So far so good!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
PUBLISHER

Kirby

It's so hard when you can't do anything for the little ones!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors