Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

David Tubb Final Finish Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Well, I shot my rifle for accuracy. Five shots 2" at 100 yds. a nice cluster no flyers...It also hurt my accuracy. It was shooing around an inch.
This gun shot 3200 fps. when it was new. And I clean my barrels reguarly.
I think the bullets ruined my barrel. I have used them before with good results.
I did exactly as the instructions "said to do". clean thoroughly after every ten shots. It looked to me as if the first 40 bullets were the same grit. I even looked at them under a magnifying glass, and couln't tell any difference. The other bullets I used you could tell the difference by simply looking at them.
I'm calling to company who made them and see what they say.
Thanks! For your guys input.

RDG
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

I used only 25 (5 of each grit) in my .308 and they moved the throat forward .03". My accuracy is the same as before FF but I had to increase my OAL to compensate for the longer throat. Work up a new load and all should be well.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcatfish View Post
I used only 25 (5 of each grit) in my .308 and they moved the throat forward .03". My accuracy is the same as before FF but I had to increase my OAL to compensate for the longer throat. Work up a new load and all should be well.
Catfish,

You did mean .003 and not .03?

But I agree with you. Remeasure/reload and give it another shot. I still think you improved your barrel or the barrel was toast before you started.

Keep us up to date!

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

I mean .03". OAL distance to the lands with a 168SMK went from 2.865 to 2.894.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

I used FF on my Tikka 308 Varmint. Went out and it is down about 75fps from the drops I'm seeing out at 300 yds compared to before. However, it is MUCH easier to clean and soooo smooth. Can't say I dislike the results.

Matt Roth
Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupatun View Post
I used FF on my Tikka 308 Varmint. Went out and it is down about 75fps from the drops I'm seeing out at 300 yds compared to before. However, it is MUCH easier to clean and soooo smooth. Can't say I dislike the results.

Matt Roth
I would venture to say that you lost more speed than that but your bc increased. Might be worth chronongraphing to make sure especially if your making charts for long range shooting.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
I would venture to say that you lost more speed than that but your bc increased.
Goodgrouper,

I'm not busting your chops here, really I'm not but I've got understand your logic on this one.

By firelapping the barrel how much of a BC increase do you think he achived? Even an increase or decrease of 100 points on the BC isn't going to have any significant effect on his muzzel velocity. By removing a carbon build up in the throat any change in BC (if any) would be extremly minute, I doubt it would change less than a point.

Here's what I've seen through a bore scope when I'm looking at barrels when I visit speedy's shop. The barrels with the biggest carbon build up in the throat area are from folks who don't use brushes on a regular basis. The tell speedy they use solvents and patches to clean after shooting. Not saying this is wrong, just an observation.

More than likely Tubb's FF removed the carbon build up and polished his throat decreasing the pressure.

Now the decrease in accuracy. More than likely he pushed his OAL out especially if he used 50 rounds or more of FF. I'm sure that throat area and first few inches are as smooth as a baby's behind. He's going to have to re-measure his OAL and adjust for the longer OAL.

What we don't know is what kind of condition the barrel was in prior to him using the FF. How many rounds had the barrel seen? It there was a large carbon build up in the throat, it probably means a lot. Lots of unknown factors to consider.

Worst case, he could always have the barrel set back and re-chambered which would give him a fresh starting point. Wouldn't cost that much.

The best advice I can offer is for him to take it to someone who has a bore scope. Borescopes don't lie.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!

Last edited by Jeff In TX; 09-07-2007 at 08:36 AM.