Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Dave King and the "THING"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dave King and the "THING"

Dave

Don't you have to know the known distance to the target and with the GPS system you must go to the area or spot you are wanting to know the distance too and take a reading for the GPS to plot it for you?

If so, that would be a handicap to the longrange shooter if he was in an unknown area to hunt and that means you would still need a reliable rangefinder?

Any GPS I have been around you had to take a reading at one spot, say the target and then go back and take another (where you want to shoot from) to determine the range.

The handheld computer is a good idea but, the distance, I think, must still be ranged to put the info in the palm computer?

I'm just wondering how or IF the "thing" or GPS can range for you without ever being at the bullet impact site?

Darryl Cassel
Old 02-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Darryl

Yes, I need to get a position from both sites, the shooter and the target.

It's a bit of a handicap for some types of shooting expecially in a area with a lot of unknowns.

I use it mostly for local hunting where I have known landmarks and know the critters travel/arrival points.

Another reason I began using it was that I don't have a LASER that can range beyond 1000 yards. The GPS can range to any distance I care to carry it.

The handiest part is the storage of the positions. Once I have a position stored I can get the range to that position from anywhere and I can also then use the GPS to get to that spot from anywhere.

Winds (single vector) can be calculated for many target positions from one main source. If a critter presents in a site that I have a GPS fix for I immediately know the distance and wind setting.

If I had one of those Russian Lasers I'd probably never have developed the GPS portion of the thing.

One thing I can do with it that I haven't tried yet (technically possible just unprogrammed). I can use the GPS to get the shooters position and then use the LASER to get the distance to the target THEN I use the compass bearing to the target and output the coordinates for the target site. These coordinates can then be keyed into the GPS and now the shooter knows when the critter is by using the GPS and the GOTO function.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

One thing I can do with it that I haven't tried yet (technically possible just unprogrammed). I can use the GPS to get the shooters position and then use the LASER to get the distance to the target THEN I use the compass bearing to the target and output the coordinates for the target site. These coordinates can then be keyed into the GPS and now the shooter knows when the critter is by using the GPS and the GOTO function.

Now that is something I've never thought about. I'm going to try it and see how accurate "I" can get doing it.

I have the old Garmin GPSIII not the GPSIII PLUS that is "TOPO" capable. What are you using Dave?

Do you have to be moving to get a compass bearing, or is it one that has the electronic compass or something like that built in?

Oh, how accurate are your altitude readings?

One more thing. If you haven't tried the Duracell "ULTRA's", they last exactly twice as long in mine. They're twice the price but they don't run out while the GPS is tucked away supposed to be doing it's job.

Also when it is cold the voltage stays high enough to keep it running until it gets warm again later. They last about 20 hours in mine non stop with Four "AA" ULTRA's
Old 02-23-2002, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Hello Dave

Sounds like you have done some serious homework on this project.

What you answered was exactly what I thought. A rangefinder would be a needed item if you were going to a new place you had NEVER been before.
You Could just program a good ballistics program (say Oehler or there are others) into your palm computer and range it with a good laser and dial in the information on the trace report?
You could have it set up to have just about everything in already except the range and angle you are shooting?
If you knew the wind factor, you could put that in also right on the spot.

A person could even have a laptop back at camp and make a drop chart EACH day for the temperture and altitude they intended to hunt and simply take a laser rangefinder? this is of course in an area they have not been before and don't have the GPS readings.
As you know, your fine under 1000 yards with a Leica but. over that the military units come into play.

The places we have gone in Colorado, you would NOT want to take a walk just to get your coordinents for the GPS. The only time I like to go to the other mountains is to retrieve game and that is normally on my two legs. Different ball game out there.

Your way is a very inexpensive way of finding the bullet path to the target, especially in a known area that the GPS readings are already made and programed into the palm com.
Thanks for the info.

Later
Darryl

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 02-23-2002, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

I have a Garmin 12, it's about the 6th or 7th one I've had. I generally give them away as gifts to friends or guides. They have a "GOTO" button on the panel, something I believe is very important. Once a person gets lost or hypothermic rational thought gets lost too. The new GPSs have the "GOTO" feature buried deep inside, sometimes several menus deep. Getting to this feature is a mentally challenging proposition even when one is in normal frame of mind, certainly of no value to a "lost" person.

I don't leave my GPS on, I only turn it on to get a position fix. I don't use it as a compass and I don't use the compass feature on it even when it's working. I carry a standard lensatic (?) compass.

I do use Duracel batteries, the cheaper batteries are a waste of money and time. The Ultra have been used a few times, they're very good.

The elevation settings are not as good as the X,Y postions.