Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cybermesa.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Cybermesa.com

Where did it go?

Next question: As much as I've read about ballistics in recent months it requires digesting before things come together for me. Almost through the last 1/3 of R. McCoy's book the 2nd time... so since Whisper brought up the sonic transition question I'll ask my own:

I've read that wind deflection is influenced by the cross section of the shock wave, and from McCoy's book and drag graphs it is plain that drag is lower for a given form as the mach number increases. The only way I can really get my mind around crosswind effects is by vector analysis and in that context high mach=less drag=less drift etc. At what point(relative to the projectile) is the cross section of a shock wave significant? Okay, 2 questions [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , can anyone explain in lay terms why drag decreases as mach increases?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cybermesa.com

Found the JBM ballistics page at www.eskimo.com/~jbm/. Must have moved...

So, I'm all ears about shock wave cross section theory...... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]