Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Cutting edge raptor on game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting edge raptor on game?

Yeah 6. Thats the reason for the hex they broach in the front.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Bronze Member

Seems like at high speeds the tips would fragment off like schrapnel and the body would penetrate like a solid. Best of both worlds? Likely too good to be true but I'm a dreamer.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Thats what they advertise. Have to wait for someone to do some testing and get back with us.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I don't remember if LTLR ever used the Raptor line, he did use the MTH's quite a bit (me too). The Raptor is marketed as a hunting bullet, large hollow point & insertable (Talon IIRC) tips. Either way it should expand well, I'd have no problem wacking a deer/'yote at moderate ranges with them. The only downside is the Raptor has a really poor BC.

t
Oh, OK ... that must have been it, thanks!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
I think the plastic tip is pretty crucial to proper expansion.
Actually, on a HP of that size, it would expand better without the tip. The primary purpose of tips on hollow point bullets is to in crease BC.

I am with Outlaw. I would stick with the MTH's for better BC.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Bronze Member

BC to me is not near as critical. Many places I hunt a 300 yard shot is bout all that I can get. That's why I'd consider these. If I can run one out at 3600 that's very little drop out to 300. Especially when sighted dead nuts at 200. My cousin, whose a girl, Has killed several deer with a 55 grain ballistic tip factory ammo. I've witnessed a shot right in the boiler room and the deer never heard the shot at around 100 yards. But deer here in southern Tennessee are fairly small with large doe's weighing 90 sounds and decent bucks 145. In my area deer are wildly over populated and we can legally killed 3 doe's a day everyday four the entire 3 month season.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBolin51 View Post
BC to me is not near as critical. Many places I hunt a 300 yard shot is bout all that I can get. That's why I'd consider these. If I can run one out at 3600 that's very little drop out to 300. Especially when sighted dead nuts at 200. My cousin, whose a girl, Has killed several deer with a 55 grain ballistic tip factory ammo. I've witnessed a shot right in the boiler room and the deer never heard the shot at around 100 yards. But deer here in southern Tennessee are fairly small with large doe's weighing 90 sounds and decent bucks 145. In my area deer are wildly over populated and we can legally killed 3 doe's a day everyday four the entire 3 month season.
For that type of shooting I would highly recommend the 90 grain E-Tip. It will give consistent performance from point blank to 400 easily. A lot cheaper than the CEB's. However, the CEB's will likely be more accurate if that's an issue.

If I was a short to mid range hunter, I would not pay the extra $$$ for lathe turned monos.

I would also not recommend pulling the tips out of any bullet.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams