Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cutting Edge Bullets, What Works For You?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

Cutting Edge Bullets, What Works For You?

For those who have experience using Cutting Edge Bullets, have you noticed any patterns or "Best Practices" that helped you get the most accuracy from these bullets?

I have followed the loading instructions on the Cutting Edge website, but haven't been satisfied with the results. For those who are using CEB's successfully, I am interested in your feedback regarding what you have found to work best in your rifles. I am particularly interested to know if there is a pattern as to preferred seating depth or jump tolerance characteristics.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting Edge Bullets, What Works For You?

I've had mixed luck with them but I think I'm getting more comfortable with shooting them and getting them dialed in after this last rifle. I found I could move my powder change quite a bit and not see much of a difference so I concentrated on seating depth, not of the o-give but of the seal ring. All my chambers are set up for VLD's and the throats are tight so really I ended up working with the very narrow area between the neck of the case and the start of the lead. I found giving them as much jump as I could WITHOUT putting the sealing band inside the case neck was were I needed to be.
It's a narrow range to the tune of about .004 that they shoot absolutely incredible in my 6.5 SS, I vary much from that and they open up.

I also found them much more touchy about bullet run out, I saw a difference at long range with the run out being the only variable in the load, much more critical than I've seen with cup and core bullets.
Being a bore rider I think they start down the barrel how they leave the case, the bore will not align them as much and they don't bump up, this could also mean the the bore diameter is more critical with them also which I've read some comments about.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

You can try all the "best practices" but you will still have accuracy woes. Do a quick search on the topic, we discussed it here last year. Inconsistency is apparent no matter what solid bullet you shoot. I have shot the CE on paper at a mile, and they have never been able to "hang" with the solid core bullets. I'm not talking one rifle, one time, I'm talking multiple rifles/calibers, multiple times....

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
You can try all the "best practices" but you will still have accuracy woes. Do a quick search on the topic, we discussed it here last year. Inconsistency is apparent no matter what solid bullet you shoot. I have shot the CE on paper at a mile, and they have never been able to "hang" with the solid core bullets. I'm not talking one rifle, one time, I'm talking multiple rifles/calibers, multiple times....
Uh Oh..... There is that "Solid" word again. Be careful how you use that word Joel. I still have a few teeth marks from using it in reference to a 100 % copper bullet the other day. Even though the bullet is copper clear through with no jacket you can not refer to it as "solid". There are other fancy names for these bullet today. You know more politically correct not as prejudice as "solid".

Jeff
Old 12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Pardauxn my french Jeff, but . . . $hit. . . solid is solid whether it's copper, brass or ice.:roll eyes:

And it is generally accepted by those that know that bore diameter to bullet diameter is critical.

Recall the Lost Rivers? They weren't solids as the points were a separate component, on the J36s at least. I saw the machine that made them from "solid" brass rod.

Oh, and using an inertia bullet puller the J36 point came out first then the bullet came out of the case. Yep, it sure did.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Uh Oh..... There is that "Solid" word again. Be careful how you use that word Joel. I still have a few teeth marks from using it in reference to a 100 % copper bullet the other day. Even though the bullet is copper clear through with no jacket you can not refer to it as "solid". There are other fancy names for these bullet today. You know more politically correct not as prejudice as "solid".

Jeff
Awww, c'mon Jeff... you really consider those teeth marks? I know you have tougher skin than that

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
solid is solid whether it's copper, brass or ice.
Careful there Roy, your skating on thin ice. You could be the next to commit a bullet terminology faux pas.

Jeff