Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cutting edge bullets barrel rifling damage???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting edge bullets barrel rifling damage???

What is your case neck thickness?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post

Edd, I will have to get back to you on that. I don't remember.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacsniper0888 View Post
Hi derek. Yes he may be. He did say something about dangerous game shooters practice with non copper solid bullets and only shoot copper solids at an animal cuz they ruin the barrel. May been what he was referring to. And longtimelongranger I'm shooting the D62's in my Remington 700 Sendero action .338 Win mag. 26" barrel 1-10" twist. 3.656" max overall length touching lands. The starting load data is much appreciated.
To the O.P.'s original post; I believe he's referring to steel jacketed solids. That's a bunch of hooey too though, as I've got 100 of the hornady steel jacketed solids and about 200 of the 300 tsx's through my 375 h@h and the bore is perfect. Sub moa groups out of 8# 375h@h with perfect lands/grooves.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post

Edd, I just measured a couple cases with my Sinclair tool. They were both .016 on the nose.

Hope that helps.

t

Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey guys. A whole back LRH member longtimelongranger turned me onto cutting edge bullets D62 bullet. I ordered some and am waiting to load them until my gunsmith gets finished fitting my new PT&G fluted bolt to my Sendero action and rereams it to the proper depth for proper headspace so I can measure the overall length to figure out where to start off seating my bullets. Anyway the gunsmith I deal with has been gunsmithing for forty years and the shop owner had been in the industry for fifty years and he told me that monolithic solids like the cutting edge bullets would eat the rifling right out of my barrel! He said he has rarely seen a barrel shoot more than a hundred rounds of monolithic solid copper bullets that wasn't shot out! He said with mine being a factory barrel I could keep shooting conventional bullets, I.e. nosler, Berger for years before rebarreling or I could shoot about fifty or so copper monolithics through it and need a new barrel. Surely this isn't do?! They look like precision high quality projectiles! Is this just old wisdom from back in his day since he's so old and reluctant to change or is this true? After all his work and blue printing and trying my action I don't want to throw all that money away in fifty trigger pulls!!! Thanks guys and have a great day.

My best guess is that he is talking about bronze solids. they are much harder that copper or
gilding metal bullets and are normally used for dangerous game.

They are known to be tough on barrels, but how many shots it takes to wash out a barrel is
not known because most of the rifles for dangerous game are not shot that much and at long
enough distances to tell when accuracy falls off.

I to would like to see proof of this Also.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Not sure. I am also shooting some solid brass solids made by BoreTech. It's their V3 match bullet if anyone knows what I'm talking about. They appear in finish to be solid brass same as the cases are. Same color and I know they are brass just don't know if they are pure or alloy. They should be safe to shoot as well shouldn't they? They have a 0.860 BC I believe. Way higher than anything else I have found out there.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure. I am also shooting some solid brass solids made by BoreTech. It's their V3 match bullet if anyone knows what I'm talking about. They appear in finish to be solid brass same as the cases are. Same color and I know they are brass just don't know if they are pure or alloy. They should be safe to shoot as well shouldn't they? They have a 0.860 BC I believe. Way higher than anything else I have found out there.

Most brass bullets are of the bore rider design (Banded)to minimize the bearing surface (Reducing
barrel ware).

The new designed bullets are also used for long range target shooting because of there BCs.

Lighter weight for the same physical shape increases the ballistic coefficient.

Are They safe to shoot? Yes. It is just a question of how they effect barrel life.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 09-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.