Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cutting edge bullets barrel rifling damage???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cutting edge bullets barrel rifling damage???

Thanks LTLR! I also use CCI 250 primers. The method I used to determine my overall length was the frankford arsenal overall length gauge where you measure from muzzle to bolt face with a cleaning rod then remove the bolt and insert a bullet and push it with a wooden dowel up into the chamber until it contacts the lands and stops then remeasure. Would that be contacting the seal tight band or the secant ogive of the bullet contacting the lands of the rifling? Thanks LTLR.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

That is the seal tight band making contact with the front of the chamber. It stops the bullet travel and prevents you from getting to the lands. I have coated bullets with mica and put them in the chamber to check lands contact and can not get one to the lands unless I shave off the seal tight band. I back off .025 on average from the seal tight band contact to get good groups. The guys at CE I am sure have other options. I have only been shooting these a year but learning fast since I shoot quite a bit. Augustus gets some good groups with the CE bullets but I don't know what his method is. Last week it was incredible some of the groups I was shooting.

I have a 338-378 wby that likes the seal tight band way down in the case for best accuracy. Right where the boat tail starts to taper even with the beginning of the case neck. That is the load I made a 1130 yard kill with last year and several 700-900 yard kills by me and my buddies.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Outlaw, How far are you off the lands with your special cut throat? These bullets like a jump into the lands from what I have seen. I am getting some very good groups out of my wby freebore rifles they like so much jump. The seal tight band is where I get my contact at the end of the chamber. That is where I measure the .02-.03. I do not know how far I am off the lands.
I too am getting contact on the band from what I see, there are no land marks on the bullet no matter how long I seat them. I'm still playing with this setup but, it looks as though it's set to jump ~ .020 with the band set flush with the case mouth. Thanks for the info, in case my initial testing falls short, i'll know where to go to next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
What is the freebore they recommend with that bullet?

Edd, the reamer freebore was set to either .130 or .140, I can't quite remember which (my reamer print is at the office). I will confirm tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Silver Member

Thanks LTLR! Hey what are you trimming your .338 win cases to? Are you trimming before resizing or after? I'm full length resizing is why I'm asking.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Edd,

Reamer specs as requested: .299NK .140 FB 1-30

t

Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Edd,

Reamer specs as requested: .299NK .140 FB 1-30

t
Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Thanks

All might be interested in this as Chad has his own way of dialect , pasted below is the email from Chad to David Kiff of PTG fame:

David,

Tyler is a client of ours interested in a new build. Cartridge is going to be a 6.5 WSM.

Particulars:

Hes using a relatively new bullet made by Cutting Edge ( http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/ ) Were looking at the 130 grain Match/Tactical/Hunting bullet. Were going to need a new reamer for this.
Action is a Stiller LoneStar short action. Not sure what Jerry is using for a magazine box length on these. If its an issue, throat accordingly. If theres plenty of room, please see below in the details.

Reamer specs:

HSS
Throat set to allow the boat tail/bearing intersection of the bullet to seat at the Neck/shoulder junction of the case.
No turn neck. Going with Norma 270 WSM brass. Not sure what the neck wall thickness is. Im not a huge fan of super tight necks. Just enough to let go but not so much to stretch the cases out like the home coming queen after the big game.

Case body dimensions can be SAAMI on the dot. This is a field gun. She needs to run well.

So, I leave it to your wizardry to determine throat length etc.

t