Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cut VRS Button Rifleing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Cut VRS Button Rifleing?

What is the diffrence between the two? Also what are the pros and cons between the two, is one better for barrel life than the other, dose one being better for for barrel life make any diffrence on accuracy?
Also do specific manufacture use only one or the other?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cut VRS Button Rifleing?

Zach,

One method isn't really better than the other, they're just different. The real determining factor in the finished quality of the barrel is the care and knowledge of the barrel maker doing the work. Hart makes buttoned barrels; first-rate quality. Satern makes cut-rifled barrels; first rate quality. They're both good at what they produce. You buy a $45 barrel from any maker, cut or buttoned, and you're getting a $45 barrel. If you're thinking about setting a gun up with an aftermarket barrel, take the time to talk to folks who're using barrels of the make you're looking at, and see how they like them. Most will be pretty straight-forward about likes and dislikes. If you see a number of competitive shooters using a particular make, there's probably a reason.

I have, and use, both cut and buttoned as well as some hammer forged barrels. They're all good, but then, they're all good quality barrels. Don't go cheap on the barrel, whichever type you decide on. It's the heart and soul of the finished rifle!

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Last edited by Kevin Thomas; 04-22-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Zach,

One method isn't really better than the other, they're just different. The real determining factor in the finished quality of the barrel is the care and knowledge of the barrel maker doing the work. Hart makes buttoned barrels; first-rate quality. Satern makes cut-rifled barrels; first rate quality. They're both good at what they produce. You buy a $45 barrel from any maker, cut or buttoned, and you're getting a $45 barrel. If you're thinking about setting a gun up with an aftermarket barrel, take the time to talk to folks who're using barrels of the make you're looking at, and see how they like them. Most will be pretty straight-forward about likes and dislikes. If you see a number of competitive shooters using a particular make, there's probably a reason.

I have, and use, both cut and buttoned as well as some hammer forged barrels. They're all good, but then, they're all good quality barrels. Don't go cheap on the barrel, whichever type you decide on. It's the heart and soul of the finished rifle!

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
Very good advice !!!!!!!!

A barrel is the last place to cut corners.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Zach,

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
I've seen this question asked and answered many times.

That's the best response I've seen yet.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

One of the big advantages to a cut rifle barrel maker is they can ussually make the twist anything you want. If you want a 12.55 twist, they can make that without much effort.

A button barrel maker would have to make a new button to make an odd twist. That is why Lilja and Hart offer "standard" twists and Bartlien offers anything you want.

Other than that, Kevin hit the nail on the head. A quality barrel is a quality barrel.

I have used both and have seen excellent accuracy potential with both. Most quality makers "lap" the bore after the bore is cut. This is where the finish part come into play.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

Thanks all! I understand how a cut barrel is made but how are button rifle barrels made? I don't plan on cutting any corners just wonderd what was best!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabelas90 View Post
I don't plan on cutting any corners just wonderd what was best!
For me it is the "quality" maker who can ship a barrel to me the fastest!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.