Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cut rifling or button?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Cut rifling or button?

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY LIGHT ON CUT RIFLING OR BUTTON RIFLING. SEEMS TO BE GOOD BARRELS RIFLED BOTH WAYS. iS ONE BETTER THAN THE OTHER?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cut rifling or button?

I have both and I can't tell a difference in accuracy. The debate is huge but anymore I have no preferance. It is more about the smith, break in, and compoenents that I worry about.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Bronze Member

Read this and then decide...........

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/bmart.htm
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

well I hear the story all the time as to which is best. Personally, I can't see a lick of difference between them except for the price of several cases of beer. If you look at the equipment listings in the big benchrest shoots you see lots of cut barrels, but you also see more button barrels as winners. I don't think it's because they are better, but I do think the shooter was on his game that day.

You can do a serious engineering thesis on the subject, and each will have a plus and a minus about them. One relieves stress while cutting the metal, and the other adds a compressive stress to the metal due to shear force involved. Metalurgist will tell you the compressive stress is far better. Enough to matter? I doubt it. Then there is the accuracey factor (rifeling). One method uses a die blank (thats all the button really is) to broach the rifeling with one cut removing a very small amout. The other cuts one groove at a time. Everytime you enter the bore to make a cut (no matter how) you set yourself up for error, and this has to be taken into context. I seriously doubt there's one person on this board that could tell the difference between one type or the other with their group size. But if it matters much, I can safely tell you the barrels that have won the Olympics for at least the last twenty years were all button rifled. Why? I can't say, but that's a well known fact.
gary
Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

We can argue all day about it as we have done many times in the past. None of it has changed the fact that both types when purchased from a quality manufacture are very accurate.

If 1 shooter recived one of each from a quality shop as a gift and had no idea which was cut and which was button pulled he sure as heck would'nt be able to figure it out by shooting them side by side.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Bronze Member

"One method uses a die blank (thats all the button really is) to broach the rifeling with one cut removing a very small amout."

We might just want to correct this..........Button rifling removes no metal. The button is harder than the barrel material and simply presses the rifling into the metal.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

This is one of the best articles on barrels that I have seen !!!!

The only problem I have is that near the end It shifted to the opinion of someone that promotes
cut rifling and it lost some of its objectivness .

I have used and inspected both types and there performance and quality are solely dependent
The barrel maker . NOT THE TYPE OF RIFLING.

The article described the Pros and cons of all rifling methods. And If the barrel maker has his
act together he can take advantage of the good points and minimize the problems associated
with a process.

So in my opinion, One is as good as the other if done correctly.

No matter how a barrel is rifled occasionally an exceptional one comes along that is amazing.

J E CUSTOM