Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

cut rifled or buttoned , it'll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: cut rifled or buttoned , it\'ll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

I don' know that cut would make a difference over Button as far as cleaning goes, I believe they would both, being lapped clean about the same. I suppose there may have been a difference in the past. I don't think that holds true today with the top makers. Years ago I would not shoot a cut rifled barrel because it seemed to take about 500 rds before they would settle down and shoot. At least in HS Precision's barrels that I tried. I have not had that experience with the Krieger barrels that are cut. The one thing I can say for sure is I don't notice any difference in how a barrel cleans as long as it is accurate, then only if I can get it clean in time for the next relay in a match and get my ammo loaded. Unless you are shooting competition, what does it matter?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Bronze Member

I just got back from the range and the chosen load was 2730 FPS. Varget 44gr, 175 smk, lapua brass and fed 210 primers, 24" rock barrel (start lower). for some reason I cant shoot the 5th in the hole [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], but the first 4 are very consistent at .2" the smallest being .083 I scrubbed the bore with a brush (10 stokes) and used three patches before it was clean. My hart barrel takes twice as long. You probably won’t see any difference between the two barrels you are looking at. I would just pick one and try it out. If you need one fast mike has a few in stock.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

I am using Broughtons because they are accurate, clean easy, give the extra velocity and are winning a lot of matches- Rocks do the same but aren't shot in 1000 yd BR matches as much.
Why the change? Cause Rocks are getting damn near impossible to get.
Either one and you can't go wrong just depends on how long you want to wait and how much BS you want to put up with.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

LOL i can attest to the BS. I got so mad at Mike that i finally had Chris order me a boughton barrel. Low and behold the project is almost done and i am much happier.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

I have a 28" Broughton 5C on a 30-06. I am using 56grs of H4350, Lapua cases, Fed match primers and 175 grain SMK's. This load is 3 grains below Hodgdons max w/ this bullet. I am getting the same velocity as their max charge is suppose to get. 2,921 fps is the average. My best @ 100 is .179" and @ 200 is .302" for 3 shots on both. The barel cleans easily no doubt! After my smith built the rifle, he said the Broughton was the best looking barrel he had ever seen!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Here in the UK cut rifled 5R barrels are available from Border barrels of Scotland, the proprieter Dr Geoff Kolbe was a student of Boots Obermayer.
Border barrels are of extremely high quality rifled on precision Pratt & Whitney machines and hand lapped to very tight tolerences. They are available in the USA from O.K. Webber.

Ian.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Gold Member

but they take ages to get. sorry JR couldn't resist that one.
Pete