Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

cut rifled or buttoned , it'll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

cut rifled or buttoned , it\'ll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

I'm in the process of getting all my goodies in order to have a new toy built , I'm trying to make a decession on the barrel though and thought I'd ask everyones oppinion

The barrel is going to be for a 308 , 22" long and of the 5C or 5R bore style , the question I have is which of the two will offer best velocity and easy cleaning. Has anybody had any dealing with either or both and care to comment
Old 04-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: cut rifled or buttoned , it\'ll be a 5 groove/Mike Rock or Broughton

JD
I have 2 of the Rock Creek barrels one in .243 and one in .264 both of them broke in very quickly (under 18 rounds) and both seem to get faster velocity than reloading manuals state for a given load (for what thats worth).

Cleaning on both is very easy, especially with coppermelt, but they only see 30-40 shots max between cleanings.
Chris
Old 04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Bronze Member

I just got done building my 308 with a rock 11 twist barrel.
so far my best group at 100yds is .188" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ive used other barrels in the past, but from now on all of them will be from mike rock. the 11 twist is perfect for 175gr match kings. and he usually has a few in stock. mine is the M24 contour with 5 flutes.
rock creek barrels
give him a call, tell him Glen in Idaho says hi
Old 04-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the process of getting all my goodies in order to have a new toy built , I'm trying to make a decession on the barrel though and thought I'd ask everyones oppinion

The barrel is going to be for a 308 , 22" long and of the 5C or 5R bore style , the question I have is which of the two will offer best velocity and easy cleaning. Has anybody had any dealing with either or both and care to comment

[/ QUOTE ] I guess I don't understand how do you get a 5R barrel that's not an Obermyer or a Broughton. I thought that was proprietary only under licence from Obermyer. Sometimes it pays to play follow the leader. Who is winning with a Rock barrel @ 1000 yard bench rest?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Gold Member

I think Obermeyer has a patent on the name 5r only. I've got a Broughton 5c in 300wsm. Depending on bullets and powder I average 100 to 150fps over when I used the same loads in the factory barrel and the 5c broken in good.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

I just bought 5 5c barrels from Broughton. I have never had one before but to many people I know are getting great results to ignore.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Well , I know that Mike Rock used to work for Boots Obermayer and bought the rights to the 5R name and from what I gather the 5R and 5C desgine are the exact same
What I was wondering was which of the two woulkd last longer and clean easier out of the cut rifled (Rock) or the pull buttoned(Broughton)
I see that Chris Matthews has started using Broughton over the Rock barrels just wondering if their was any particular reasoning folks were going to Broughton over the Rock barrels
Quality , price , easier to deal with the company?