Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Customizing start - up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Customizing start - up

Itís clear to me that I want to have a rifle in 7 RM ( keeping it easy) latest by May Ė July 2014. This should be a rifle I will be able to customize easily later on due to finances. To start with, Iím thinking about a 700 CDL LH for that purpose, also because of its 26í barrel and general quality standards. At first, the CDL first will require a free-floating barrel, new trigger assembly (Timney/Jewell) and a decent bedding. Since the CDL has a wooden stock (I like that!), I personally would prefer an epoxy Ė bedding for both the action and recoil Ė lug. Am I wrong here and would pillar Ė bedding being better? Mounting the scope, I was thinking about Talley 2 piece scope mounts with integral 30mm rings. I will use only one scope, so a picatinny Ė rail might not be necessary?
Is there anything missing or something wrong concerning a customizing start-up? I really would appreciate good inputs and ideas.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Customizing start - up

That looks like a good start. The only other major things one could do is have the action trued and put on a new barrel, but I bet it will do fine with your upgrades. As far as bedding goes, I think it is best to install the pillars and then do the epoxy bedding over the pillars. The pillars do the majority of the support and the epoxy makes everything smooth and level.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd676 View Post
That looks like a good start. The only other major things one could do is have the action trued and put on a new barrel, but I bet it will do fine with your upgrades. As far as bedding goes, I think it is best to install the pillars and then do the epoxy bedding over the pillars. The pillars do the majority of the support and the epoxy makes everything smooth and level.
Thanks for your input and that you like my image of a gun! I know that pillar bedding is normally the best way, but when it comes to wooden stocks, there might be an issue. I've heard about that pillar bedded wooden stocks often suffer from loose screws after relatively short time. The action will surely be trued as soon as Iím going to buy a new barrel. Thatís going to be the second step. But maybe it isnít necessary because the rifle will shoot (much) better than 1 MOA. They do pretty often. I forgot to mention that there would be a decent brake installed in the 1. round.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

The 700 is not my first choice for an action to build off of but it will certainly do. Have you considered an M70 Sporter? Not sure if they are available in LH, but if they are that would be my recommendation. The Weatherby Vanguard or Howa would be my first choice but they do not make a rilfe in 26" barrel that I know of.

As for your plans with the 700... wood stocks are very attractive but they are also more prone to weather effects. I agree that pillars are a good idea, especially in a wood stock. And a Jewel or Timney trigger is almost a must. I like Jewels best.

Factory sporter rifles can be very temperamental for accuracy. This is where the Vanguards and Howa's are best IMO as well as better actions.

Good luck with your rifle project!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Thanks for your input and that you like my image of a gun! I know that pillar bedding is normally the best way, but when it comes to wooden stocks, there might be an issue. I've heard about that pillar bedded wooden stocks often suffer from loose screws after relatively short time. The action will surely be trued as soon as Iím going to buy a new barrel. Thatís going to be the second step. But maybe it isnít necessary because the rifle will shoot (much) better than 1 MOA. They do pretty often. I forgot to mention that there would be a decent brake installed in the 1. round.
Pillar bedding should be just fine in a wood stock. Wood stocks that aren't pillar bedded will compress after time in my experience.

It doesn't appear that Vanguards and Howas are made in LH actions... too bad

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The 700 is not my first choice for an action to build off of but it will certainly do. Have you considered an M70 Sporter? Not sure if they are available in LH, but if they are that would be my recommendation. The Weatherby Vanguard or Howa would be my first choice but they do not make a rilfe in 26" barrel that I know of.

As for your plans with the 700... wood stocks are very attractive but they are also more prone to weather effects. I agree that pillars are a good idea, especially in a wood stock. And a Jewel or Timney trigger is almost a must. I like Jewels best.

Factory sporter rifles can be very temperamental for accuracy. This is where the Vanguards and Howa's are best IMO as well as better actions.

Good luck with your rifle project!
Thanks for your input. Ok, pillar also for wooden stocks! I got that! Unfortunately, I find neither Vanguard nor Howa lefthanded actions, the same with the M70. That's one of the reasons going for a 700. There are some really good European actions available, but extraordinary expensive in comparison.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Thanks for your input. Ok, pillar also for wooden stocks! I got that! Unfortunately, I find neither Vanguard nor Howa lefthanded actions, the same with the M70. That's one of the reasons going for a 700. There are some really good European actions available, but extraordinary expensive in comparison.
While you are getting your action trued, you might think about replacing the factory recoil lug with a heavy duty one pinned to the receiver.

Google Image Result for http://precisionarmament.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/PRECISION-ARMAMENT-ACCU-LUG-REMINGTON-700-RECOIL-LUG-B1.jpg

~ John Quincy Adams