Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom rifle of choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Custom rifle of choice

If you guys were looking for a on the shelf custom rifle what would be the chambering? Say this will be a rem 700 trued in a Mcmillan A3 sporter edge platform.
Also what would you plan to do with the rifle?
Looking forward to what you guys have to say!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels
Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom rifle of choice

Chris, is this for a "do-it-all" kind of rifle, or just for LR only type of rifle?

Do-it-all rig, 7mm RemMag, 26" barrel 1:9 twist, Rem Varmint contour.

For a LR rig, I would say a 7mm STW with a 28" 8.5 twist barrel, Rem Varmint contour to shoot the 190-200gr bullets when they become available.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

.300 win.mag. 26in. 1 in 10 breaked, shooting 215 or 230 hybrids shooting critters and steel out to 1200yrds.

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 07-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I'd say
7 rem mag
300 win
Old 07-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

i think a nice simple vanilla 338 rum with a brake and a nice trigger would be a pretty unbeatable on the shelf thing. Considering how many remington 338 rums you see on the shelf (none) i think I am not the only person who feels this way. even a nice hunter style stock would be good too cause some like one and not the other. 26" tube 10 twist extended magazine box for the longer bullets. weighing in around 9-10lbs scoped would be pretty much perfect

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Bronze Member

7mm rem mag
7mm stw
300 win mag
26 in. barrel with break, good trigger for hunting. Elk, deer and what ever else I may be lucky enough to hunt.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
i think a nice simple vanilla 338 rum with a brake and a nice trigger would be a pretty unbeatable on the shelf thing. Considering how many remington 338 rums you see on the shelf (none) i think I am not the only person who feels this way. even a nice hunter style stock would be good too cause some like one and not the other. 26" tube 10 twist extended magazine box for the longer bullets. weighing in around 9-10lbs scoped would be pretty much perfect
Maybe up north where you're from.....Down here you can find more .300 WM and larger, and .338 anything on just about every used rack in almost every gun shop and pawn shop in my state.

The reason is, because they're overkill for us down here. Even my .300 Ackley is overkill for down here, but I wanted it, and it shoots great, and will make a great gun for, I would guess well over 1,500 yard shots??? You don't ever see anyone posting about having one other than 1K BR guys, but I'd like to know the capabilities of one beyond me skill-set, just for fun.

The most commonly used deer calibers down here are: 243, 308, 270, 30-06, 7mmRM, & 300 WM.

I think it would be cool to see an off-the-shelf (AFFORDABLE) .280 AI in the 40* SAMMI/Nosler chambering with a 26" 1:9 twist barrel offered in a magnum sporter contour, and a Rem Varmint contour.

Also a .25-06 AI 40* Shoulder with a 26" 1:10 Rem Varm barrel would be a sweet off-the-shelf rifle. Or atleast a regular .25-06, but ALSO offer the option to have one chambered in the AI version.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.