Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom rifle....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Custom rifle....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oregonian View Post
But shooting within 300 yds around 1 MOA is plenty for hunting.
I know that add'l fancy guns are a want, even if we can convince ourselves they are a need, it just looking for opinions from the wisdom of the interwebs....

Thoughts?
I concur. I'm the traditional get closest, and get closer hunter, lurking here to learn what wasn't available during my period. Within 350yds, 130gr Nos Part is plenty even for elk moose and griz. If you're going after brownie, then I'd fore go 30-06 and get 7mm Rem mag. I think you need to have a licensed guide to hunt Alaskan bear, and he will probably try to get you within 300 yards.
A good factory rifle is what I prefer. I have custom rifles, But fear of getting them thrashed on a rough hunt.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Gold Member

1" is pretty good for a 5 shot group. I'd say look into reloading. Shooting custom ammo will make you rifle a Custom. Getting set up for reloading seems like a massive undertaking compared to buying a box of ammo but there's a reason why almost everyone who's reloads doesn't regret it. I seldom use economics as a reason to reload but over a few years, attach a retail price to the reloaded ammo you've shot and you'll be surprised how much money you haven't spent. This is because it's hard to pony up $30 to $50 dollars for a box of 20 factory shells. Your reloads will be a lot less and you will get substantially more trigger time because you not fixed on the price as well as being more into shooting due to the interest in how your loads perform.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
I'd say look into reloading. Shooting custom ammo will make you rifle a Custom.
Your reloads will be a lot less and you will get substantially more trigger time because you not fixed on the price as well as being more into shooting due to the interest in how your loads perform.
+1. Mike filled in what I should have included in my post. Reloads will definitely improve accuracy, and you get to select best bullet for the job.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Yea, what they said.

But hand loading is an entirely different subject area than shooting. You have to really want to do it. I think it important to find a very good mentor and read anything you can get your hands on, reloading books, manuals, etc... And it takes buckets of time. But if you love it as most of us do and you are willing to spend the money I think it is certainly the way to go. Chances are you will be keeping the Browning if you get into it. Besides that anyone new to hand loading doesn't want to be learning with a high end rifle.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

The advice on reloading is very legit, it will definatley improve the accuracy of your A Bolt. Once you start reloading and see the improvment in group size if your like pretty much everyone else you want to improve them even more (different rifle). Two years ago I felt the same way you do about a custome rifle, then I went on a mule deer hunt in Wy. I live in Indiana. I took my Tika 308 with hand loads sub moa and felt pretty comfortable shooting out to 4-500yds.

Second day out had two very respectable bucks one in the 170-180 range at 665yds uphill I did not take the shoot because I knew my limitations, never seen another deer that I wanted to take. I told myself then the next time I went West it would be with a rifle I was confident in shooting out to 800yds plus. I am fortunate I have a very good smith within 16mi. of my home, he just finished the build last month on a 7mm rem mag. I'm retired but have a lawn care business to pay for my trips and toys I have a litle over $5000 in this rifle shot at 800yds last week group measured 3.773 inches and has been getting better do I regreat the expense? No way this thing is a ball to shoot it is scary accurate that makes it just that more enjoyable, the only regret I have is I put off a trip out west this year to get comfortabe with the gun. Not to mention we have been in a drought for last six months not good for lawn care. Anyway you may change your mind as your groups get smaller.

"Shoot straight,Shoot once"
Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
The advice on reloading is very legit, it will definatley improve the accuracy of your A Bolt. Once you start reloading and see the improvment in group size if your like pretty much everyone else you want to improve them even more (different rifle). Two years ago I felt the same way you do about a custome rifle, then I went on a mule deer hunt in Wy. I live in Indiana. I took my Tika 308 with hand loads sub moa and felt pretty comfortable shooting out to 4-500yds.

Second day out had two very respectable bucks one in the 170-180 range at 665yds uphill I did not take the shoot because I knew my limitations, never seen another deer that I wanted to take. I told myself then the next time I went West it would be with a rifle I was confident in shooting out to 800yds plus. I am fortunate I have a very good smith within 16mi. of my home, he just finished the build last month on a 7mm rem mag. I'm retired but have a lawn care business to pay for my trips and toys I have a litle over $5000 in this rifle shot at 800yds last week group measured 3.773 inches and has been getting better do I regreat the expense? No way this thing is a ball to shoot it is scary accurate that makes it just that more enjoyable, the only regret I have is I put off a trip out west this year to get comfortabe with the gun. Not to mention we have been in a drought for last six months not good for lawn care. Anyway you may change your mind as your groups get smaller.

"Shoot straight,Shoot once"

All very good advice, and summed up pretty well here. My challenge is not lack of interest in reloading, just that we have two kids under 7 yrs old and I only have time for so many hobbies....just a matter of priorities. If I get good enough to where my ammo, skills, or rifle is keeping me from extending my range, I will probably push myself over the edge and pick it up. Just need to get to where I can outshoot the rifle or ammo. Right now I am not sure I am there yet, so I need to improve myself before I improve my equipment.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

I think that is a responsible choice. And as you mention, trigger time is always important. I even take my .22 with me to the range once a week and shoot at little pieces of whatever that are left on the berms.

It will all come together for you in time, just keep it fun and responsible and you are certainly doing that. As I suggest in my original post, keep an eye open for a hand loading mentor. Even if you don't have the time now to do it on your own if you can just watch someone once in a while it will be a very valuable experience for latter. Hand loading for long range ain't a walk in the park.