Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Custom rifle....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Silver Member
Custom rifle....?

OK, so I will be the first to admit that a custom rifle is somewhat of that I don't mean unrealistic, but something to which many hunters aspire. But at the end of the day, not sure how much it really gets me.

Here is my current situation. I have a Browning A-bolt in 270 win and am currently getting a little over 1" 5 shot groups. I have a handful of different factory ammo on the way (I don't reload) to see if I can improve that, or at least see what offers the best combination of ballistics and accuracy. I don't have the skills YET to reliably take game over 300 yds, but maybe I will get there someday.

So I don't really think I gain a whole lot by getting a custom rifle for $3-$5k. I may go on an elk trip in the next year, and if so, may get another a-bolt in 30-06 to cover larger game.

The other approach is to get a custom rifle and grow into it, but honestly don't know if that will happen.

I have a chronograph on the way to measure speed and can measure accuracy myself, and a scope upgrade and a lapping and alignment kit on the way to maximize what i have now. I am looking forward to getting the most out of my factory gun with factory ammo. But shooting within 300 yds around 1 MOA is plenty for hunting. I shoot at the range only to prepare for hunting (along with enjoyment, but I am not someone who is going to justify my self worth based on small groups). Maybe one day I will get to the point where I can take advantage of a 1/2 MOA rifle, but my skills aren't there yet.

So, while I can afford a custom rifle and want one from an emotional perspective, I am looking forward to wringing all I can out my factory rifle and only going custom if I can outshoot the rifle. I would rather spend the extra $$ on ammo, an elk or deer trip, or whatever.

I know that add'l fancy guns are a want, even if we can convince ourselves they are a need, it just looking for opinions from the wisdom of the interwebs....

Unread 08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Silver Member
Re: Custom rifle....?

If you have room somewhere get a press and start hand loading. I can't imagine having a custom rifle and shooting box ammo out of it. Amazing how it will change your shooting.
Unread 08-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

I have a Browning A-bolt 7WSM that will do 1/2 moa with loads it likes. My problem was non of them were factory stuff. If you can afford it you might give reloading a try, as it will make the most of your 270.

If you can swing a custom from one of the great smiths on this site you will never regret it.
The increase in performance and consistency is just amazing.
" I do not leave a long range shot opportunity to "adequate". In my opinion, as stated before, overkill is a mythical place, no such thing if you can pilot the power with precision." Kirby Allen
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

Mostly I advise the younger folks around me not to trade product for opportunity. Mostly they laugh at my safe full of product. You can get a lot done with basic equipment.
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

The answer to your question is simple. Get a Sako which, IMO, are the closest rifle out of the box to a custom rifle.
Unread 08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

A custom won't buy you anything without reloading for it -barring pure luck.
There are aftermarket guns that shoot well with off the shelf ammo, and factory guns that do as well. But way more that don't.
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Bronze Member

Start reloading, your a-bolt will more than likely shoot 1/2 Moa