Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom long range, light weight Build - Which stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Custom long range, light weight Build - Which stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Why not go to the place you plan on shooting F class and talk to those guys about who is building their guns and see if any one has the stocks you are looking at.
I highly recommend you try some stocks out before you commit to the buy
the amount of money they cost you do not want to end up with something that you might regret.
BTW what kind of actions are you looking at?
McMillian will take back any stock you buy, I would suggest you order a couple off the self's if they have it in your style and see if you like the fit/feel. you can always send them back and then have yours made. Granted there is some extra time involved but were also talking $500+.

The guys at Manners can add a little more material to raise the comb on their stocks, they are willing to go the extra mile, also with the 90% carbon wrap you may end up with a bit lighter stock. My choice for a hunter/tactical stock would be the MCS-T3 it a great fit for me when shooting off hand/prone/table using bags. You will find the grip more tactical in feeling the the HS stock and a nice wide fore end.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombeckj View Post
McMillian will take back any stock you buy, I would suggest you order a couple off the self's if they have it in your style and see if you like the fit/feel. you can always send them back and then have yours made. Granted there is some extra time involved but were also talking $500+.

The guys at Manners can add a little more material to raise the comb on their stocks, they are willing to go the extra mile, also with the 90% carbon wrap you may end up with a bit lighter stock. My choice for a hunter/tactical stock would be the MCS-T3 it a great fit for me when shooting off hand/prone/table using bags. You will find the grip more tactical in feeling the the HS stock and a nice wide fore end.

There you go I honestly never really thought about doing that I never needed to because I have access to different MCM stuff locally but that works haha.

Does Manners do the same?
They have some really cool options if they will take back what ever I order I might just try some out for my self.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Bronze Member

Give Thomas Manners a call, he's a VERY nice guy. I've ran some of his stocks and liked them well enough, what led me back to McMillan was the Gelcoat finish. I'm just not a fan of painted stocks if I have a choice....personal preference again. LOL.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

my buddy is in the same boat as you are... heavy barreled rifle build and wanting a light weight stock. If you want really really light and strong go with a Lone Wolf. you will be paying for it though, probably $650-900. MPI makes a light thumbhole out of carbon fiber, I actually have one that is unfinished and inletted for Rem 700 bdl long action that i might consider selling... MPI originally made the carbon fiber stocks for Christensen Arms but now they are made in house. Thats the route my buddy took was the finished stock from Christ. Arms $650 very light weight and high cheek piece... spent a lot of time looking at stocks for my buddy and i have mcmillans and haven't shot a Manners but held a few. I believe the manners is overbuilt, how often do you decide to drive over your gun with your truck. i like the thumhole MCS-GAT design but even with the 90% shell it is not light enough for me. Mcmillan makes the edge stocks that are fairly light but quite plain. Mcmillans are tough and proven. i have a Mcmillan winchester marksman and thought i would makek my own adjustable cheek piece so i cut a $480 stock and made it come out good but added weight doing it ... if you have to have an adjustable cheek buy the shell style adj cheek from shawn carlock at Defensive Edge (lightweight and lots of adjustment and easy solution).

PM me if you maybe interested in the carbon fiber thumbhole i have.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Lonewolf makes many variations and weight, the Howler is there thumbhole. Summit is sporter straight comb 16-22oz, more if you add comb,palm swell. Around 700 that pillars and bed.kevlar glass comp.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Look at the McMillan A3 Sporter stock with the Edge Package. It is extremely lightweight and Feels great. They don't have it on the Website yet but google it and you will find it on the net. I have a A3 Sporter with a #4 fluted Pac-nor, Pierce Action and a 4.5-14x50 LR Leupold and the whole shebang weights 8lbs 4 ounces.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Greybull Precision Stocks are really nice if ur looking for a happy medium between tactical and hunting. Check um out. I have them on all my long range rigs. I am guessing ur working with a Rem 700?

Defiance Rebel 338 Norma Mag 24" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4 stock
G7 NF NXS 5.5-22X50MM

Savage LA 7SAUM 20" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4
308 Varminter 2.0 Suppressor
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA