Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

This is really a business decision. Would you like to improve your income by ten percent? It's a no brainer!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
Here's my idea for you. Stock the actions, magnum, long and short or lets say 3 magnums, 2 long and 2 short. Have the stocks pre bedded to the actions in left hand and then sell them like this or advertise them this way:
2 weeks till it ships, left hand (insert stock, action and barrel description) and then say in (for example) 264 win, 7mm stw, 300 win. You have the barrel blanks and can cerecoat them so instead of one extreme or another you have them prebedded and all you have to do is chamber, cerecoat and headspace (not in that order) and it simplifies how much inventory you have while still having as close to "ready to ship" as you can without all the cost and inventory. What I would say is look at how fast anything left hand is sold in your classifieds! They never take long and us lefties are way more used to paying substantially more than righties. We also go the custom route faster since there are so few " non-custom" options. You would be filling a niche and in this economy anything that gives you an edge is good. Let me.know since I need a 6 mm something.
Great idea, minus bedding the stocks, you cant bed an action before you ceracoat it or barrel it, as the ceracoat changes the o.d. of the action slightly enough to effect bedding pressure, also, you cant bed the recoil lug or first inch of barrel without it being assembled. Im sure Len is aware of this, but i just though i would point it out.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Bronze Member

I am a right hand shooter, but a customer is a customer and regardless of the business perspective of having product sit on the shelf being costly.Produce one of each so when the order does come in they're not left empty handed. easy to build another when one is sold.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

I am left handed, I shoot a bow and a rifle right handed, everything else including
pistol I do left handed. I am a rather mediocre rifle shot and a pretty high end pistol
competitor. So being to old to change , I can say if my son was a lefty I would love the
availability of left handed rifles.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomo View Post
I am a right hand shooter, but a customer is a customer and regardless of the business perspective of having product sit on the shelf being costly.Produce one of each so when the order does come in they're not left empty handed. easy to build another when one is sold.
+1 the demand for the product will answer your question.

I'm at work so I haven't read through this thread fully. If you are just starting to offer left handed, then you will probably get a surge in sales that will balance out until you have an idea of what you need to have on hand to be timely.

If you've been offering lefty rifles all along, you should probably already have a feel for if you need to keep more than one rifle on the shelf or not.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Yep, long overdue. All you RH guys out there make comments like...there are plenty of LH options around like Savage, Remington, Tikka etc. But when you start looking for a specific rifle and calibre the options soon reduce to very little. For example Remington only make a blued action no stainless option. Sako don't make any current models LH and the last short action was the 591 some 20 odd years ago!

I recently contacted that company that's making the custom titanium action to see if they were making a LH option....nope!

Stiller, Bordon, Nesika do LH options which is great.

Can you supply it with a proper left hand scope as well? All the new ones have side focus on the left hand side which is a real pain for left hand shooters (or at lease me).

The stock needs to have a left hand cheek piece!

How about a beam scale the right way around, and even the little scale pan has the finger tab on the wrong side.

NB 20% of humans are left hands. you referred to 10% of males, what about the other 10% females that are left handed. Left handed people with smaller frames are even more disadvantages as its more difficult to operate right hand centrefire rifles that don't fit and are too heavy!

Cheers

Grant
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I am Right handed but left eye dominant and learned to shoot either way because of that. Just another thought to throw out. Try it you might like it.