Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Savage300

Good morning

I have decided to order in a bunch of left hand actions and stocks. They will arrive in early December. I will wait for orders to build specific left hand rifles -- unlike currently for my "ready to ship" right hand rifles.

Normally completion for left hand rifle orders will be in 4 to 6 weeks from order -- same as for right hand orders. I am taking pre-orders now but obviously for these pre-orders the time line is dependent on initial component delivery.

Since at this time I expect that I will NOT be charging higher pricing for left hand than I charge for right hand, the pricing can be seen here right now.

Custom, precision, left hand long range hunting rifles
What type of actions and stocks will you be using for your left hand builds? build barrels also (I think I saw you using stillers, surgeon actions, manners and mcmillan stocks and brux and broghton barrels on your right hand builds)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Len,
This is simple business. It's a good idea if you want to charge the premium for a left hand build. Otherwise it will be bad for your company. You would have to advertise heavily to sell what you will have to keep on stock. Additionally; of those 10% of lefties, how many are going to be able to afford a precision rifle? These days you can buy fairly good accuracy straight "out of the box" for way under $1000. There is a simple reason companies don't build them and unfortunately it's all about money. If you've got gobs of money coming out of your ears then it would be commendable of you to offer the "service" to this small percentage of disadvantaged customers. Please give me some feedback on what you think.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
PUBLISHER

Stanton, oh, I just answered you with an email before I saw this.
==============================

Midnight, I have ordered some left hand Stillers (with the new LRR logo, below), and McMillan A-3 stocks. I'll also have some lefty Manners t's on hand.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

I would like to point out that myself, my father, and my sister are right handed but left eye dominant. We all shoot left handed. My fiance is a true lefty and shoots left handed. We do not buy RH rifles. I personaly have in LH 1. a savage mark II 22lr. 2. A Remington 581 22lr, 3. An M700 300rum LSS, 4. A custom 300rum built on an M700 with a 27.5"kreiger. 5. An M700 BDL 7mm rem mag, 6. A savage model 16 300wsm, 7. a Tikka T3 lite 243, 8. I also have a Ruger no.1 which i picked up because it will work quite well LH that is being built to a 7mm08ackley. I will never again buy a factory rifle, they will all be customs. I intend to have Kirby build me a 300, or 338Raptor, then my next will be either a 260rem or 6.5x47Lapua.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanton View Post
Len,
This is simple business. It's a good idea if you want to charge the premium for a left hand build. Otherwise it will be bad for your company. You would have to advertise heavily to sell what you will have to keep on stock. Additionally; of those 10% of lefties, how many are going to be able to afford a precision rifle? These days you can buy fairly good accuracy straight "out of the box" for way under $1000. There is a simple reason companies don't build them and unfortunately it's all about money. If you've got gobs of money coming out of your ears then it would be commendable of you to offer the "service" to this small percentage of disadvantaged customers. Please give me some feedback on what you think.
Wow I bet your right handed! And I would like to see these rifles that are long range capable right out of the box that are LEFT HANDED that are $1000 or less? I can get a 308 or 300 win mag in a remington with a varming barrel but everything else is a light weight standard gun. So if len is the only guy doing a fast turn around or ready to ship then he's the only game in town. Look at it this way, think if you had 10% of the right handed market and were the only one doing ready to ship right handed rifles for long range? Is this a smart buisiness decision? Definatly. Its no more expensive to order any parts for a left hand custom. Stiller, surgeon, peirce, mcmillan, manners, badger, don't charge any more of there parts in left hand. So if len has lets say 5 on hand (stocks and actions), and can primise a 4-6 week turn around, this is an excellent decision. And for the last time 10% of the population is left handed, more than 10% are left handed shooters. Think eye dominance. Do some research before you make these brandish comments.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM

WOW dude; chill your barrel a little. I was simply giving my opinion because I was asked to. In this ecomomy I would not bet MY company on what a fraction of 10% of people MIGHT buy. These rifles are very expensive and most people are seriously cutting back on their buying. I did find several guns on gunbroker for $800 to $1200 that would give your high end rifles a good running though. Some where even chambered for those Gucci rounds you folk tend to use. Betcha that gets ya fired up too. Chill out man...a fast heart rate always shakes your reticle.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanton View Post
WOW dude; chill your barrel a little. I was simply giving my opinion because I was asked to. In this ecomomy I would not bet MY company on what a fraction of 10% of people MIGHT buy. These rifles are very expensive and most people are seriously cutting back on their buying. I did find several guns on gunbroker for $800 to $1200 that would give your high end rifles a good running though. Some where even chambered for those Gucci rounds you folk tend to use. Betcha that gets ya fired up too. Chill out man...a fast heart rate always shakes your reticle.
Im as cool as the other side of the pillow brother! but you go ahead and speak of what you just dont know. So what kind of rifles in LEFT HAND are you finding on gunbroker that will do the job? and whats your definition of "do the job" also i have no idea what you mean by "gucci rounds" does that mean I need to shoot a 308 or 30-06 or if i want really long range i will go with what jack oconnor said and use the best ever 270? come on man your just a little under gunned here, every pun intended!