Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

BEING A RIGHT-HANDER, I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM. HOWEVER, WHEN IT COMES TO HUNTING AND POSSIBLY GETTING OFF A SECOND SHOT, THEN THE HAND OF THE RIFLE CAN BECOME A PROBLEM. IN THE CASE OF BENCH-REST SHOOTERS, SOME OF MY FRIENDS ARE LEFTIES AND SHOOT A RIGHT HANDED RIFLE. BUT IN THIS INSTANCE, TIME AND RAPID SHOOTING ARE NOT A MAJOR FACTOR. I GUESS, IF I WERE A LEFTY, AND HUNTED, I WOLD DEFINITELY WANT A PORT-SIDED RIFLE AND WOULD DEFINITELY PURCHASE THEM............Lowall
Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

I shot right handed bolt action for so many years that I don't feel comfortable with left handed guns. Don't make lots of quick shots anyway. I purchased a titanium Browning Mtn. Rifle in right handed, and it works o.k. because the safety is on the tang where I can reach it easily. But with that said, if Remington had made a left handed Mtn. Ti, I would have bought one years ago. I wouldn't consider buying a custom rifle in right hand.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

I work with disabled sportsmen where the need for south paw equipment is extreme, but the demand is very low. Personally I would appreciate your L.L.C. building left hand rifles in the lower recoil cartridges. Unfortunately they would also require stocks made from wood or another material that can be hacked and wacked with very good results.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM

Yes Len, I believe you probably should offer a left hand version of your rifle. Being left handed myself, I have been forced over the years to accept what is available...I believe most left handed individuals are fairly adaptable; I am able to shoot bolt action rifles that are designed for right handed shooters *unless* they have a radical stock design that absolutely prohibits left hand operation.
That being said, I am not in the market for a left handed long range rifle at the moment as I already own a Weatherby MkV southpaw version that meets my needs.

Thanks for asking!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Len,

Several years back, I went through a second shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, leaving me unable to shoot or hunt right-handed for 2 years. I bought 2 off-the-shelf rifles and worked through the loads until I found a load that worked. Not that these 2 guns came close to my custom guns though.

I think there is a market out there for LH rifles. Probably 10 to 1.

Thanks for thinking of all shooters and hunters........
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Hi Len , I cant quote to be an expert in this field by any means but a couple of pertinant observasions might help .!!!
I am one of an " identicle twin " we were both right handed untill my brother lost his l/h fore finger when he was 6 yrs old ( long story "girls " )Anyway since his recovery he has been left handed ?????? don't ask me or his mom why !!
However this has never spoilt his activities apart from the fact that there was never any left handed anything in our days !!! the answer was become ampi-dexterous . well my brother has achieved that and today can ably shoot as well left handed as right handed !! TO be honest i see far better shooting left handed myself
now as that eye is stronger !! ( a twin thing maybe )
But i really think that if a left handed rifle was as easy to get as it is now ( not that it is easy now just a sh#t lot easier than back then ) I think my brother would have had a far easier hunting experience than he has had .
To me an available supply of left hand rifles not only makes business sense but also will benefit millions of " kak handed shooters / hunters !!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

The 10% statistics that many of you keep quoting is for LEFT HANDED PEOPLE not LEFT HANDED SHOOTERS! If you look up statistics on eye domiancy (which is or should determine what side you shoot on) is consistantly quoted in many studies between 28 and 30%. There are already (me included) been 5-6 guys that posted on here alone the fact that they are right handed but shoot left due to eye dominance.if you really wanna find out your market len then call surgion, stiller, mcmillan, pierce and manners and see what percentage of their products are sold in left hand to their CIVILIAN ( not military or LE) markets! I would put a cool $20 bet that its not 10% but closer to 20%. On another note lets give a righty a left hand gun and see how well he does (try it len then you will understand). This is a buisiness and not emotions so all these side stories about some buddy or whatever and not facts is kinda getting old. If you want fast turn around and a good action in left hand call jim pierce. I see lots of smaller either gun shops or smiths that don't look at their buisiness decisions with facts. I'm glad your doing that len. Most of what you see people offer is what "they feel will sell" and not analizing their market for its sales potential. Look at it this way, you can never sell a rifle you won't make or stock. I have made or are making 3 rifles this year. If you would have offered them left hand you would probably got my buisiness. But I can't buy what you don't have.