Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

My son is also left handed and is very interested in improving his shooting skills.
A nice LH long range rig would be interesting, however I'm a righty and I get mine first.
Maybe Christmas?
Good Luck, great website.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Hi Len,
I'll agree w/ the others that having a few LH rifles to offer would be great. If they can be offered at a compareable price and not that much longer lead time it would be great. Is the problem not being able to get LH actions/stocks in a reasonable time? Thanks for thinking of us "lefties".
Jay
Old 08-31-2011, 07:31 AM

I am right handed but shoot long guns left handed. I have instinctively done this since I was given my first single shot long gun at age 12, probably due to a very dominant left eye. I have always used RH shotguns and rifles, whether bolt action, pump and semi-auto, without problems (qualified expert with a RH M-16 at Ft. Jackson in 1972). The only two issues I have encountered are powder residue from semi-auto shotguns and the occasional spent cartridge (eye protection is mandatory anyway) and a strong left wrist is needed to hold a muzzle heavy bolt action rifle horizontal when cycling the bolt during unsupported rapid fire shots. Neither of these issues are relevant to long range hunting scenarios. That said, my experience began at an early age and those taking up long gun sports or hunting as adults may feel entirely differently. Demand will decide the issue.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 AM

Len,

You are on the right path here. A nice survey online to see how many left handed shooter there are that would be in the market for a custom rifle.

Carl
Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 AM

As a left shoulder shooter I learned to run a right handed longarm from the left side.

After an initial buying frenzy I don't think you would see much interest in left handed bolt guns. Also, spare parts would be an issue, as they wouldn't be easily available should a gun breakdown in the field. If something happened to my AR, and I needed parts, I could pop the trunk on any cop or fed vehicle and viola, spares! I could also steal it from the Army. I'm not saying I would, or have, just that coming up with spares is a consideration to me.

Take the issue of borrowed rifles too. If someone had to borrow a rifle the chances are it will be a right handed gun. I'm of the opinion that lefties should adapt and overcome and use right handed guns as they are the more common. For me one of the best shooting positions is left hand thumbhole with a right hand bolt. I find this to me the cat's meow and have no desire for a left handed bolt gun.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; 08-31-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM

I for one am not left handed, and do not know any left handed shooters. That being said if i were a lefty i would be very interested in this. i believe it is a good business idea, and may up sales.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM

I bought my first lefthand rifle in 1975. It was a Mark V Weatherby in .240 Weatherby. Previously, I had used what most lefthanders get by with: right hand bolt actions, semi-autos, etc.

Since then, I have bought and used a variety of lefthanded bolt actions, including more Weatherbys, Brownings, Sakos, Tikkas, Kimber of Oregon, Savages, and others.

So, to answer your question, yes. I am a firm believer that a true lefthanded version is superior for a good shooter in many ways.

And, for a chuckle: When I am trying to buy a lefthanded version somewhere, the salesman almost always says something like this: You will never see another one of these, so you will have to pay through the nose for it.

But, when I am trying to sell a lefthander to a dealer, the salesman usually says, "I will have to discount this substantially because almost no one wants a lefthanded version......."