Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Hunting Rifle advice wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Hunting Rifle advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun nut View Post
Fiftydriver responded to my questions about a borden vs stiller action on another forum... interest sort of dried up over there so here i am to find out what i can.... here is the package I am considering so far... what do you think? How would such a rifle built by borden himself differ from a rifle built by fiftydriver...

borden alpine action, krieger CM bbl #3 contour, either mcmillan edge or hi tech stock, pacific tool and guage bottom metal, jewell trigger, wyatt outdoors center feed mag for BDL style, chambered in 300 WSM

How long of a barrel are you intending? Why CM instead of Stainless? What twist barrel are you planning? What is the intended target/game?

The components look good.

I'd have Kirby put it together and be happy with the rifle.

I have one Kirby built custom on a BAT action and it is scary accurate.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Boss,

It's always good to get more than one opinion. Kirby articualted the reasons he thinks Borden actions are a step above. Do you and your builder have specific reasons for preferring Stillers?

Thanks,

-MR

Speedy did his evaluation of the actions, which involved checking tolerances and blue printing among other things to base his decision on. When I build Any rifle and he build all of mine except for the custom 98’s and the like which Chuck Grace builds those and even then Speedy may do certain things they are always done the same. All I tell Speedy is what color the stock needs to be and if there will be a brake, H&S bottom metal is to be bead blasted or not(that is my job most of the time anyway), always use a Jewell trigger, always flute the Krieger tube which I get and the recoil pad is the same. Speedy has built so many rifles for me and we both have the same taste in styling and no compromise on components so it’s easy for me----“Speedy just build it like you would for yourself”.. I use his bases and rings that John Loh builds and has for many years the new material is 7075 in the T6 condition.

The only things we ever argue about is the length of the tube which he always wants it to be just a little longer in most cases. Speedy is not just a Smith he is also a HOF shooter who knows what things must work together in order for the rifle to produce the highest degree of accuracy. We shoot together and are good friends but nonetheless, his knowledge is considerable and I have been around him enough and watched him build countless rifles to know that he is among the best in his craft.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
How long of a barrel are you intending? Why CM instead of Stainless? What twist barrel are you planning? What is the intended target/game?

The components look good.

I'd have Kirby put it together and be happy with the rifle.

I have one Kirby built custom on a BAT action and it is scary accurate.

AJ
Thanks to all for your replies...

the chrome moly bbl is more functional in cold climate conditions as compared to stainless steel.. also lighter bbls can be had in chrome moly... 24 inch, Krieger CM, #3 contour, .308 chambered for 300 WSM, 1 in 10 twist for 180 grain bullets, deer up through elk sized game

The borden action sounds like the one to have.. I don't mind paying extra for quality if I an in fact getting more for my money

I sent an email to Mr Allen hopefully he will respond.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Just for what is it worth----all of my rifles except for 3 collectable ones are customs built from the ground up. While your due diligence in this is commendable, I think you are still in the weeds a little. First, we will assume that you are well versed in how to extract the most accuracy out of your custom meaning you will know how to set up the rifle properly when shooting and know the finer points of loading for this new Wonder Stick. The most important part of this process is to pick the right SMITH to do the work!! Have seen many people who did all of the research, got the best components only to have one of them not installed properly when the rifle was built. You would not believe the look on people’s faces when Speedy would show them why their 5k custom hunting rifle would not shoot! Some of the time, it was a simple fix such as replacing and modifying the firing pin, shroud modification, bolt or something as elementary as a crown not being cut perfectly square, problem with the chamber dimension etc. other times it was a faulty component such as a barrel.

Point is find a Smith who not only knows what he or she is doing but also vets the components thoroughly and not just take them out of the box or tube and run with it so to speak. Getting into the world of custom rifles is a lot of fun however, ones expectation of the level of performancel is also raised. One of the reasons that all of my Speedy built hunting rifles all shoot like my match ones is simple. The same process is used to build the 6.5 284 1K IBS LV rifle as the sporter with the difference being a lighter repeater action, stock and barrel. Chambering, barrel maker and twist (albeit a smaller contour) crown type, prepared rings are all the same as is the bullet type (ogive). Building a rifle is just like many other things---it is not magic---success is in the quality of the components for sure but the biggest variable is the process which is controlled by a human and that makes the difference between a .2 and a 2.0 shooting rifle.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 07-03-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Just for what is it worth----all of my rifles except for 3 collectable ones are customs built from the ground up. While your due diligence in this is commendable, I think you are still in the weeds a little. First, we will assume that you are well versed in how to extract the most accuracy out of your custom meaning you will know how to set up the rifle properly when shooting and know the finer points of loading for this new Wonder Stick. The most important part of this process is to pick the right SMITH to do the work!! Have seen many people who did all of the research, got the best components only to have one of them not installed properly when the rifle was built. You would not believe the look on people’s faces when Speedy would show them why their 5k custom hunting rifle would not shoot! Some of the time, it was a simple fix such as replacing and modifying the firing pin, shroud modification, bolt or something as elementary as a crown not being cut perfectly square, problem with the chamber dimension etc. other times it was a faulty component such as a barrel.

Point is find a Smith who not only knows what he or she is doing but also vets the components thoroughly and not just take them out of the box or tube and run with it so to speak. Getting into the world of custom rifles is a lot of fun however, ones expectation of the level of performancel is also raised. One of the reasons that all of my Speedy built hunting rifles all shoot like my match ones is simple. The same process is used to build the 6.5 284 1K IBS LV rifle as the sporter with the difference being a lighter repeater action, stock and barrel. Chambering, barrel maker and twist (albeit a smaller contour) crown type, prepared rings are all the same as is the bullet type (ogive). Building a rifle is just like many other things---it is not magic---success is in the quality of the components for sure but the biggest variable is the process which is controlled by a human and that makes the difference between a .2 and a 2.0 shooting rifle.
I am still learning... I am open to suggestions on gunsmiths...
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun nut View Post
I am still learning... I am open to suggestions on gunsmiths...
no other comments?