Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Custom Everything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Custom Everything

Recently retired from the precision machinist field and have since gotten into long range shooting. My background is in surgical implants and tools with extremely tight and complicated tolerances. I have a garage equipped with machinist tools and equipment and see a possibility for a secondary income making or modifying equipment for shooters. I would like to know about any legal or licensing issues that may complicate that future. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Everything

Welcome to the forum.

Hey, if you want to make a test run cloning a Remington 700 long-action with a jeweled bolt with a magnum bolt-face, I'd be more than happy to help you BETA test.

I have no clue about manufacturing the accessories and parts. I know to manufacture the actions and stuff you have to have an FFL and a Manfuctruing license.

I'd assume that since none of the other parts are registered, then you would probably just have to have a manufacturing or business license. But don't quote me on that, as I have never done so.

Seriously though, I am interested to see what kind of parts you could manufacture. Anytime you have a machinist who is into guns and can make custom or hard-to-find parts that can be beneficial to alot of shooters out there. So, good luck with the endeavor, and keep us updated.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM

If you have ideas of things that are not made currently that you could use I'm willing to help. Im not required to make money for "the man" anymore so I just do it to hone my skills. If ever you get an idea and want something made just pay for the material and Ill make it for you without labor cost. Just to get the experiance. As long as its not anything Id need an FFL for.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds good. I'll let you know. I can't think of anything off-hand, but I'll do some thinking over the weekend. I'm sure I can always find something needs upgrading to billet or stainless.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Im sure just about anything would be possible... used to make stuff like prototype artificial human vertebra that assembles around the spinal cord. I dont think that ever went into production. But gun parts are a breeze compared to that stuff. So what ideas do you all have for things you would like to see made?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Also dont limit the ideas to stainless or ferrous steels. I learned to be very proficiant at machining titanium magnesium and other exotics.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

A Ti spiral-fluted (deep agressive flutes) Rem 700 bolt w/ magnum bolt face would be sick! You know, the ones that look like a drillbit from the flute angle. But i bet that would be expensive.....

Quote: