Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom barrels and factory ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Custom barrels and factory ammo

A couple of guys I hunt with will each be getting a Stevens in 308 from the jolly fella in red this year. They both plan on gradually turning them into semi customs, starting with triggers then stocks and eventually barrels.

Originally I thought it was a good plan, since I talked them into it. However I'm having second thoughts on the barrel.

These gents don't reload and despite my best efforts I doubt they ever will. This means they will be shooting factory stuff, and probably more Remmington/Federal/Winchester than the Black Hills stuff.

So what I'm wondering is IF these factory rifles will shoot the factory loads into say .75 to 1 moa will rebarreling with a custom improve the groups a noticable amount given its still factory ammo?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

I have never owned a Stevens , but own quite a few Savages. The Stevens actions and barrels are the same though.
The Stevens trigger isn't that good and you would do much better with a Sharpshooter Supply or Rifle Basix.
My Savages shoot 1/2-3/4 Moa no problem.
I would try the Federal Gold Medal Match and Black Hills Match Ammo and see how it groups. Then you cango from there. Yo umay be surprised.
You may need to ensure the barrel is free- floated, otherwise the Savage/Stevens are good shooters..

I have cusomized some Savages as well with great results.
Go to savageshooters.com and you can get all of the info you need.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

As a competitive benchrest shooter, I have witnessed a lot of accurate guns and seen what it takes to get a "shooter". From this, I would say the number one biggest contributing factor to accuracy in all of our equipment is the barrel. Customs are flat out more precise and will always make a gun shoot better. By how much is the tricky part. Sometimes it's a bunch and sometimes it isn't much. Every barrel is different and has different quirks.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Guys

I,d have been a little disappointed if I'd have had them rebarrel and not see any improvement, although not a disappointed as them I'm sure.

Chris
Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

wingman,
Let us know how they shoot. It would be great to hear the details.