Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

Thanks Kirby for the heads up, I won't be buying any Dakota arms or Nesika components anymore. I encourage the rest to do the same. Several people complaining will get the more attention than one. I will have to mention this to Richard Schatz he always speaks highly of nesika. I am sure this will trouble him. The only way you can get some companies to stand up and take notice anymore is to hit them in the pocketbook, this really bothers me.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 01-31-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

After having some phone time with Jerry Stiller at Stiller Precision regarding the Predator Extreme action, Glen Harrison at Phoenix Machine regarding their action using a .750 bolt and Bruce Thom. at BAT Machine regarding their HRPIC reciever, I've learned a few things regarding the use of long mag boxes like the 4" inside length centerfeed Wyatt's or the 3.94" inside length Seekins DM which seem worth sharing on this thread.

Unfortunately, Jerry at Stiller Precision does not think his Predator Extreme should be modified to work with the Wyatt's or Seekins DM. They would not leave enought meat on the receiver body or the bolt stop. Unfortunately, I've canceled my order with Jerry for this reason. I don't want to spend $$ on a custom rifle and then be more restricted in magazine length than I am with a factory Rem 700 LA that I can put a 4" Wyatt's box into.

Phoenix and BAT both machine their actions, at no extra cost if they know beforehand, for the Wyatt's or the Seekins in house (and others if you ask beforehand) and either move the bolt stop location or use a different bolt stop to accomodate the long boxes.

Both Phoenix and BAT use CM bolts. Phoenix is one piece and BAT silver brazes on an SS handle.

Phoenix uses 8-40 scope rail screws and M16 extractor standard. BAT's HRPIC reciever has integral 0 or 20 MOA rail and recoil lug. BAT has their own design extractor that Bruce says is very robust for the HRPIC.

The cost difference between these two is negligible when you consider the need for a pic rail and recoil lug for the Phoenix that is integral on the BAT HRPIC.

Just food for thought for those that might be in the same boat I am.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

And Ive heard unoffically that Barnard are working on a magazine feed PLs,
and more that likely the P Cheys.

Until it comes out I would say they would neither confirm or deny that they are,wait and see.

There will be no strength issues with them

MORE food for thought.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

Sako TRG 42 - Very nice smooth action and good ergonomic stocks as well. With the strength of the dollar I'm surprised your not all buying up the s/h ones here in the UK. Complete rifles in mint condition can be had for under $2,000!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Well...I decided to go with the BAT Machine HRPIC ( http://batmachine.com/products/actions.htm )with 20 MOA integral pic rail, integral recoil lug, spiral fluted bolt, and machined for the extended mag 4" Wyatt's box. I've got that box (longest out there to my knowledge for this class round) on my current rifle and certainly don't want to be limited with magazine feeding long rounds, shorter Lapua case or not. It'll be shipped off to Kirby in a few months.

Thanks for the input along the way, folks.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Hi Fiftydriver

It seems that I am in the same boat has you with the Dakota Arms crew. I have paid in full, for actions and complete rifles almost 18 months ago. Guess what I have never seen a screw never mind the actions and rifles?

I have paid them $16K up front just to hear their sad stories

Do you know or does anyone know what the story is with Dakota Arms, the telephone just seems to ring and then goes through to automated phone system.

It's very difficult to find the true story over here in the UK

Mr Kokesh seems to be able to take everyone money and please himself

Any info would be greatly reveived

Kindest Regards

Steve