Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

Not all of these actions meet your requirements but a good page with a large number of custom actions with details in one place...

Custom Actions

Scott
Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I find it funny that some will hammer the BAT receivers but will then say the Nesika and Pheonix receivers are great. All are built to teh same tightness, in fact the Pheonix receivers will be very little different then the original Nesikas, after all, Glenn was the original owner of Nesika.

I have never had a problem with BAT or Nesika receivers in the field and I have used them for years. I do however clean the rifles if they get dusty. I do not put a $4000 rifle in the mud and I tend to not let them get overly dirty, even if its a Rem 700.

Where I hunt, generally its not terribly wet but it can be dusty. Usually to damn cold to be wet!!! If my rifles get dirty in the field, they get cleaned that night weither I go home or spend the night in the field. Again, I have never had a problem with receiver performance.

To my knowledge, the Pheonix receivers for the Lapua are not ready yet. AT least Glenn contacted me and asked if I was interested in testing some of his receivers. I asked for the Lapua receiver and he said they were not ready, that was late this summer and he expected them spring of this year to be ready.

As far as the Surgeon XL receiver. ITs a good one but it has two major issues that I do not care for, well, three really. 1. Its HUGE for what it does!!! 2. IT has a VERY short OAL mag box, 3.600". 3. Its Chrome Moly, not hardly weather proof.

Stiller receivers. Pretty good. I would not class them in the same quality as a BAT or Nesika or Borden but they are very good for what they cost. I have seen a few that were not as square as I would like to see but on average, they are pretty good and you can hardly argue with the cost.

The M7500 Lawton can be made with a Lapua bolt face, I had one and it worked very well but Barney had to modify it personally as its not designed for the Lapua as far as the extractor goes. Now since Barney has passed away, I do not know if they will still do that.

As far as the Nesika Model M goes, I can not recommend them either. Not because of anything to do with the receiver, but because of a serious problem with customer service. Something very bad is happening at Nesika finanically so I would not recommend ordering a receiver from them. I will not order any more which is very sad to say.

My list as far as my opinion as to which is the best quality and weather proof.

BAT Model HRPIC
Stiller Predator X
Stiller 338TAC

If Borden would come out with a Lapua class receiver, it would be on the top of my list because of its great quality, price and function.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2009, 01:52 PM

new to the site, need help. will be starting a new build for a 338 lm on a
CZ 550 RIGBY ACTION. any one have any experience on the cz actions for the caliber. looking to put a 30" barrel + mb. any advice would help. been looking for stocks and barrels for the rifle but cant find any suppliers. the rifle will be in the 14 lb range used for 1000 yd + target and hunting. we (a gunsmith buddy of mine) are building this rifle a piece at a time due to limilted spending money right now. i have been reading everything i can about this caliber and custom rifles. man these things get expensive quick. oh well i guess if you want to play you have to pay.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I find it funny that some will hammer the BAT receivers but will then say the Nesika and Pheonix receivers are great. All are built to teh same tightness, in fact the Pheonix receivers will be very little different then the original Nesikas, after all, Glenn was the original owner of Nesika.

I have never had a problem with BAT or Nesika receivers in the field and I have used them for years. I do however clean the rifles if they get dusty. I do not put a $4000 rifle in the mud and I tend to not let them get overly dirty, even if its a Rem 700.

Where I hunt, generally its not terribly wet but it can be dusty. Usually to damn cold to be wet!!! If my rifles get dirty in the field, they get cleaned that night weither I go home or spend the night in the field. Again, I have never had a problem with receiver performance.

To my knowledge, the Pheonix receivers for the Lapua are not ready yet. AT least Glenn contacted me and asked if I was interested in testing some of his receivers. I asked for the Lapua receiver and he said they were not ready, that was late this summer and he expected them spring of this year to be ready.

As far as the Surgeon XL receiver. ITs a good one but it has two major issues that I do not care for, well, three really. 1. Its HUGE for what it does!!! 2. IT has a VERY short OAL mag box, 3.600". 3. Its Chrome Moly, not hardly weather proof.

Stiller receivers. Pretty good. I would not class them in the same quality as a BAT or Nesika or Borden but they are very good for what they cost. I have seen a few that were not as square as I would like to see but on average, they are pretty good and you can hardly argue with the cost.

The M7500 Lawton can be made with a Lapua bolt face, I had one and it worked very well but Barney had to modify it personally as its not designed for the Lapua as far as the extractor goes. Now since Barney has passed away, I do not know if they will still do that.

As far as the Nesika Model M goes, I can not recommend them either. Not because of anything to do with the receiver, but because of a serious problem with customer service. Something very bad is happening at Nesika finanically so I would not recommend ordering a receiver from them. I will not order any more which is very sad to say.

My list as far as my opinion as to which is the best quality and weather proof.

BAT Model HRPIC
Stiller Predator X
Stiller 338TAC

If Borden would come out with a Lapua class receiver, it would be on the top of my list because of its great quality, price and function.
Would you reccomend the pinned recoil lug offered by BAT and Stiller or not and why?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jmden,

The BAT HRPIC receiver has an integral 20 moa rail base and integral recoil lug so no need for anything to be pinned, thats why its on the top of my list. The Surgeon would also be there if it was stainless, had a longer OAL magazine and was smaller in size.

Stiller, up to the customer. I have had dozens of personal rifles, hundreds of customers rifles go out without pinned recoil lugs using Rem 700, Savage, Borden and stiller receivers and have never had one produce a problem. If a customer wants a pinned recoil lug, no problem doing it but to be honest, I really see no need.

Truely, best application and use for a pinned recoil lug, allowing you to pull the barrel and reinstall it or a new barrel without worrying about lug index for bedding of the stock.

Conventional wisdom says any extreme duty rifle should have a pinned recoil lug and a pinned rail base. I do not see this as a nessesity but if a customer wants it, no problem with them either. I would say a pinned rail base is more useful then a pinned recoil lug. Especially with the simple, sit on top of receiver rails on most of these custom receivers. For a Rem 700, a Badger Ord or Nightforce rail has the positive recoil lug on the rail so that negates any real need to pin the rails to the receivers.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Bronze Member

Kirby,
I am interested in what problems you were having with Nesika's customer service? I have one Nesika action and thought the customer service as well as the action were excellent. Has something changed recently?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Short story, I have had a decent number of receivers on order since early last year. Several projects have been cancelled because it has taken so long and when I tried to cancell those receiver orders they would not give me the run around.

Got the receivers in July, all were very poor quality, they told me to return them and that they would be corrected and shipped back ASAP. I was charged for all those receivers.

Been fighting with them since to get the receivers. In November I finally got some straight answers from the VP of sales at Dakota/Nesika and he told me that because of financial reasons, they would not be able to credit me for the receiver orders that had been cancelled and that the only way I could get my $$ out of the orders would be to sell the receivers when they got here.

They told me that would happen any time as they were having problems getting contacted for raw materials to make the receivers.

Simply put, its nearly February, I have no receivers and they have $8K of my money and have since July.....

This has really saddened me as Nesika used to be the GO TO company as far as top end receivers and getting them relatively quickly.

I suspect that Dakota Arms has finally drained enough capital from the nesika side of the company that they are in serious financial trouble as they were before the purchased Nesika which was the only reason they pulled out of Chapter 11 the first time around.

So after hundreds of e-mails, dozens of phone calls and nearly a year of waiting, I have nothing to show for it and they have alot of my $$!! Only way this will turn out alright is if I get those receivers but I am not expecting to much that way unfortunately. I hope I am wrong.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com