Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

Hello all,

I'm looking to build a list of custom actions out there that can handle/are built for the 338 Lapua Magnum boltface. Preferably actions that are very wet weather resistant and meant for hunting--and not hunting from a bench, but for carry hunting in the field in conditions that could get a little wet and where debris (tree needles, etc.) could conceivably get in the action a bit.

I did a search and could not come up with a post like this. If there is one out there, please direct me to it.

Please list the one you know and their contact info/website please.

Thank you!

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Custom Actions for .338 Lapua Boltface-weather resistant

Seeing as no one else wants to put in a good word for their rig I will
Simmer down Im kidden!!!

I'more than impressed with the Barnard, truly.
you can field strip the firing pin with no tools if required(big IF) theyre nothing fancy, I believe that is what makes them so atractive for a hunting application, the ONLY negative is no safety,but if it is for a long range rig is a safety really required? open the bolt! safe enough, no?

There is a link on one of my posts to a video with the chap giving one a mud bath, worth a look! or good ol youtube search would take too long.

www.barnard.co.nz

NEXT!!! LOL

Regards 300WSMAD

Last edited by 300WSMMAD; 11-01-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Well I too am going to suggest the Barnard too although I only have direct experience with their new P-Chey model I would see no reason that the 338LM boltface model would be any different, heck you can even get the 338LM boltface in the P-Chey model.

Here is a couple quick videos of my action that I am pretty sure is being referenced to in the first reply

Another action that comes to mind is the Surgeon XL. I have no direct experience with that one but know alot of people that like them.

Long Range Shooting

Thanks

Last edited by Louis Corkern; 11-01-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

I don't have a 338 Lapua. But: The Lapua is based on a 416 Rigby case necked down to 338.

I do have a 416 Rigby. I built in on a 1917 Enfield action. Its long enough and plenty strong enough and cheaper then most other actions used on Lapua. Also you can get the cock on openning firing pin.

With most all the guns I build, I bead blast the actions and polish and blue the barrels. The bead blasted and blued actions hold up pretty good in bad weather.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Well I'll start by making a list of actions that will accomidate the 338 LM:

Remington 700
Lawton 8500
BAT
Surgeon XL

I'm sure there are more out there but these are the ones that I'm familiar with.

Now for the all weather part. You could blue, duracoat, park, etc... But why when you have the options of a birdsong finish or Black Nitride. Both of these finishes are chemically bonded to the metal and offer superior weather resistance to any spray-on or paint based finishes.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Add to the list

Stiller TAC 338
Phoenix actions

BH
Old 11-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you all for the input. Please keep it coming so we can build a good database. I have yet to see a website that brings all these togehter in one place, but here's several to look at:

From a LRH member above: Long Range Shooting

Custom Actions

Custom Actions

Wouldn't the Lawton 7500 competition work for the 338 Lapua?

That Stiller TAC 338 looks pretty good for the price as well. Anybody have experience with these? No additional machining required hopefully?

Thanks! Keep it coming!

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl