Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is cryogenics worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 PM

Is cryogenics worth it

First Im new to this game the rifle game anyways I want to know if it worth the money to have my barrel done please any constructive feed back I would appreciate I have a new weatherby 30-378

thanks steve
Old 07-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Re: Is cryogenics worth it

Worldrecordbuck, Cryo is a very difficult topic. Some swear by and some swear at it. I hava a Custom Rem 700SA Titanium that wouldn't shoot in 284 Win. Finally had the action & barrel cryoed. Improved accuracy and as the rifle warmed up groups didn't open up as before. I'm happy with cryo, but other people thinks that it is a waste of $$.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

I had one barreled action cryoed. Accuracy was unchanged. I wouldn't bother with it again.

I think cryo treatment is even more controversial than moly coating. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

VH
Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Shoot the rifle first, then tweek if it is unsatisfactory.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

worldrecordbuck,
I dont want to say anything bad about cryo,but if you are looking for better accuracy out of a stock weatherby 30-378 take the money you would have spent on cryo and spend it on a few different powders and bullet's and do some load developement,have your action glass bedded and trued. I am not saying cryo does not work to some extent, but if you are looking for a panacea in a freezer you are looking in the wrong direction.
B
Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

all the major rifle makers use hammer forged barrels.they don't even cut the chamber or threads any more.this creates tremendous amounts of stress.the production rifles stand a much greater chance that a cryogenic treatment will improve their accuracy.most of the people i know are convinced it helped their guns.i also agree with the above statement that it is very controversial.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

To make an informed decision you must know what cryo treatment will and won't due.

If done prior to drilling, reaming, and rifling it will make the metal easer to machine and in most cases will give a better finish.

It will help with pattern spread due to heat from rapid fire shooting.

I have found that the barrel life and throat life are longer as well.

It will not change the harmonics of your barrel or the bore dia.

The process only works if done properly for the type of metal being used.
I can only go into generalities here but for 416R steel the barrel is frozen to -100 in a freezer over 3 hours then liquid nitrogen is added to the freezer (it is not allowed to touch the metal at any time) to bring the temp. down 10 deg. at a time, and held for a certain period of time, this is done until it reaches -300 deg. it is held at that temp. for approximately 7 hours then brought back up at the same rate as it went down until it reaches room temp. then it is tested for hardness ( it can be very brittle after the cryo treatment ) and then heated in an oven for tempering at 300 deg. for three hours, allowed to cool to room temp. and then re-tempered two more times to reach the desired hardness.
This is a long process but very well worth the effort and expense for what it will do.
This process works wonders for prolonging the life of end mills, saw blades, and barrel and chamber reamers.