Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Crown Observation - Whatdathink of this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Crown Observation - Whatdathink of this?

Son in law's Interarms 243.

We did some testing. Full size paper plate accuracy @ 200 yds.

Figger'd I'd do some tuning for him seeing as he is the father of 4 of my grand kids which is a good thing.

Barrel was touching in several spots. Floated it.

Accuracy improve to 3/4 full size paper plate @ 200 yds.

Then I noticed this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Looks like a beaver chewed it out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don't think this arrangement can be good.

Any tho'ts before I go wasting powder and bullets?

Now that you mention it the rifling looks for squat too.

And yep, it did kill a deer at a distance you wouldn't believe. One shot, spot on. The poor fella's from UT ya gotta cut him some slack but born and bred in Idaho. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:18 PM

Re: Crown Observation - Whatdathink of this?

Yeah! Oh...in about a month or so of cleaning the copper out of the barrel with the right stuff and removing the barrel and putting it in a lathe to recrown....it might come out OK!

Looks to me like he's like a lot of "Rednecks" that I know who jump into their pickups and slam the rifle muzzle down onto the floormat where there's tons of grit, gravel, crud, and corruption down there to reface what was maybe at one time....a decent crowning!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

That copper is after 6 shots of rem factory 100gr bullets @ about 2750 fps. I gave it a good wipeout cleaning before testing. It WAS clean and copper free.

I think you and I ought to get a life. We're probably the only ones on here tonight.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:38 PM

Maybe you're right but I left my wifes' folks Christmas party and they're over there now a playin Trivia!! My arse!! And I'm here with not one shot of Famous Grouse to while the time away!! As William Bendix use to say on The Life of Riley..."ain't this a revoltin development?" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

I hear ya! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

You guys aren't the only ones on here tonight!

BTW, Nice rust on the barrel too..

Maybe it is time to put a real barrel on it (chambered to 243AI of course) and make it a sooper-dooper tack driver.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

take her to a smith and get that crown cleaned up. Crowns like that will keep me up at night. Especailly since its a 10 minute job and only run $15 to get done. Well, thats what I charge, because thats all I can ask for a job like this and still sleep at night!!

I suspect this will solve the vast majority of your problems. Sometimes a little up pressure at the tip of the forend will also tame things down a bit as well.

How is the bedding, the receiver stressed.

Before I touched off another round, I would get the throat fixed. As I said, this is very easy to do and should be very low cost as well. I do not even pull the barrel but I do have a very large lathe though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com