Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cronograph's ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Cronograph's ??

Your comment about bc being accurate brings up another point of this discussion. I do not care what the numbers actually are, if it's 2837fps or 2976fps it makes no difference as long as it is 20moa at 870yrds 4000ft elv. in 75 degree weather (or whatever) as predicted.
Same could be said about bc weather it is .768 or .785 does not mean much to me as long as what ever numbers I am basing my calculations on give solid accuracy and predictable results.
As long as my calculations put me dead on my target the numbers are just numbers.
ES will show it's self plain as day at 800yrds, I do not even shoot at one or two hundred yards anymore except for initial zero. All my load development is done at 420yrds then zeroed at 100 and drop tested at 7-800 depending on what scope I'm using..
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
FEENIX confirms his chronograph is accurate using a hand-held stop watch, and what's good enough for him is good enough for the rest of the world. No humor attempted. Ooops... I'm so sorry FEENIX. Here's your humor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Yeah, I understand, and that's really all I was shooting for. It's difficult to know what everyones' intended use of a chronograph entails. Which means it's also difficult to provide meaningful feedback to questions unless the specifics of the intended use are defined.

Anybody posting comments in response to the original poster's question that hasn't used their chronograph in tandem with a proof chronograph for an extended period of time, is basing their opinion on a gut-feeling guess - and nothing more.
There you go talking about yourself again!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
There you go talking about yourself again!
Ouch. Oweeee.

Poor FEENIX. Poor, poor soul. More than three hours of stewing and brewing, and that's your best shot?
Been 10 hours since your last Post so here, let me hep ya along; go ahead and type "Did not." Then I type "Did so."
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
For me, that's where my chrono saves me time and rounds. I have an Oehler 35 and from what I can tell, it's pretty darn accurate. Therefore I don't even shoot a particular load long range until I achieve a desired E.S.
Bingo!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
Your comment about bc being accurate brings up another point of this discussion. I do not care what the numbers actually are, if it's 2837fps or 2976fps it makes no difference as long as it is 20moa at 870yrds 4000ft elv. in 75 degree weather (or whatever) as predicted.
Same could be said about bc weather it is .768 or .785 does not mean much to me as long as what ever numbers I am basing my calculations on give solid accuracy and predictable results.
As long as my calculations put me dead on my target the numbers are just numbers.
ES will show it's self plain as day at 800yrds, I do not even shoot at one or two hundred yards anymore except for initial zero. All my load development is done at 420yrds then zeroed at 100 and drop tested at 7-800 depending on what scope I'm using..
This approach can work well if you practice under the same environmental conditions you hunt in. Taken to the optimum, you set up your targets where you expect to ambush the game animal and then shoot enough to develop your drop data before the animal steps out where your target used to be.

With known and correct MV and BC (which can both be determined shooting over a chronograph during load development), a hunter whose limited to practicing at sea level can head out to hunt at 4000 or 10,000 feet. With accurate MV and BC, the hunter can use a quality ballistics software program and develop site and circumstance specific dope for any set of environmental conditions (variable station pressures and temperatures and winds) and shooting conditions (variable slopes, yardages, azimuths, latitudes). Again, the approach I'm identifying is helpful for guys who live in the lowlands and may have limited options to practice and develop measured drop charts at 4000 to 10,000 foot elevations in variable temperatures, yet hunt at elevations that vary from near sea level to 10,000 feet elevation. Employing a ballistics program to develop corrective dope for all environmental and shooting conditions encountered after the long range load has been developed does require accurate MV and BC.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

I hear that and while I spend most of my time between 3k-4500ft. I have got my rifle a bit higher on occasion and had no trouble recalculating effectively. The Match bullets in green or yellow have bean fine: using listed bc and velocity reverse engineered this way.
I am claiming my velocity to be accurate when using a quality bullet, just saying I aint chasing any particular number. Just Whatever it takes to make these calculations repeatable. If you can get it dead on at 3k under a documented set of conditions, the calculators can compensate it effectively for 7k or any other environmental changes without any hassle, at least that is the case in the testing I have done.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold Member

If you where limited to the pistol range (200-) for load development, then you would have no choice but to use a chrono, but if that is the case: you have no business hunting at long range if you can't train at those ranges.