Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cronograph's ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cronograph's ??

Curious, if you don't know the speed of a bullet how do shoot LR? I mean, for me, I use .25MOA turrents and ballistics program to shoot moa solutions out to 1500. In order to do this I have to have a good FPS number to input. Without it, LR is not possible is it?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

All of this is new to me.................Long Range to me is 400yards, and yet I have never shot anything close to that. My last Antelope was less than 200 and my last Mule Deer was way close, shot him coming through the Junipers at about 50 yards... My son shot a Black Bear at 211 this fall with my .243 AI
Velocity and BC is that all the info you need to come up with the figures...........I dont know. However it would be nice to know what my loads are doing..........Anyone live in Reno, Nevada, or close to it...........that owns a cronograph?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Got ya. I was wondering. I don't worry about that either at the shorter ranges especially on flat shooting rifles. I am not much of a guesser at med to long range. At at 600 yards my rifle drops 60" from a 200 yard zero. I just dial in 10MOA and squeeze.

It is easy enough to measure drop though and calculate speed. For example if you shoot 100 and take the difference in the bullet drop at 200 you have a working number to plug into an online calculator. I have a iPod with Shooter so I can do it in the field if I need to. You might just do that and see how it all works out. I know my 204 ammo from Hornady says 3900 but drop measurements show 3600.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

I used a Pro Chrony Digital to get my ave velocity before having Leupold make my turret. Dead nutz on the $.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data

This link will lead to a Thread that will give you a feel for the accuracy potential of chronographs based on data - not D.ID's or other's opinions. They can be accurate and consistent. They will all, occasionally, record an errant velocity. If you buy an inexpensive one with only one velocity recorded per shot, then you'll often never know if you received a bad velocity. As soon as I starting running two chronographs concurrently, I recognized that I would never again run a single chronograph. The Oehler 35P is the only factory chronograph I'm aware of that provides a 'proof' channel feature which provides the second recorded velocity for each and every bullet fired. My setup now provides me with four velocities for each bullet fired. I'm able to identified flawed data when they occasionally occur with this setup.

Are they worth it? Depends on your interest and application. D.ID tells you no. It would appear he experiences huge disappointment when others don't agree with his findings and conclusions. Not just with respect to chronographs. So I've given you a link to some examples of data recorded with my chronographs and you can reach your own conclusions and opinion about what might be best for you. If you're interested enough to complete the entire Thread, then maybe you'll appreciate owning and using a chronograph. If not, you may not find the cost and benefits and time to be 'worth' it.
Not suffering huge disappointment
Just well aware that this is one of those issues that I will be the lone voice of opposition or at least a member of the minority vote. That was actually my attempt to humorously admit that up front. It's all good.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
Not suffering huge disappointment
Just well aware that this is one of those issues that I will be the lone voice of opposition or at least a member of the minority vote. That was actually my attempt to humorously admit that up front. It's all good.
I have no problem with your response, with or without attempt of humor ... but I know exactly what you mean >>> Best Cheap Chrono??

I own a basic chrono that serves my intended purpose.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I have no problem with your response, with or without attempt of humor ... but I know exactly what you mean >>> Best Cheap Chrono??

I own a basic chrono that serves my intended purpose.
FEENIX confirms his chronograph is accurate using a hand-held stop watch, and what's good enough for him is good enough for the rest of the world. No humor attempted. Ooops... I'm so sorry FEENIX. Here's your humor...