Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cronograph's ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

Cronograph's ??

I dont want to spend a lot of $$ ..............What is your experiance with Cronograph's .....are they accurate and consistent, what problems have you had.
It would be nice to know what my exact velocity is.....................

Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: Cronograph's ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I dont want to spend a lot of $$ ..............What is your experiance with Cronograph's .....are they accurate and consistent, what problems have you had.
It would be nice to know what my exact velocity is.....................

Thanks
are they accurate and consistent? In a word.........NO.
In a bunch of words jumbled together to form incomplete sentences. Waist of money. There are a whole bunch of folks that will chime in any minute to tell you different so with that in mind, this is my opinion.
Drop tests at distance measured and reversed threw jbm or g7 free calculators will give you BETTER data for both establishing velocity, drops and verifying all at once. If any discrepancy exists in bc for instance it will be automatically compensated for within your individual rifle system within reason out to what ever range you tested.
There is no need to verify every 10 feet
You'll hear the tromp of there boots any minute , They will come to tell you to buy an expensive one, or to suggest a bunch of other gadgets to carry around and make this all way more complicated than it really is or to lecture on irrelevant technical details, But it doesn't change the facts or the reality. They will come, confident in there numbers..............................
Just so you know who is talking hear and now: I should probably add a signature line about being at odds with everyone as this is the case with increasing regularity, And just to kick the hornets nest (because i am in that mood today) The rem700 is not the best anything, the golden ring used to mean a good scope and the 308 aint the best sniper round even if it's the most common.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data

This link will lead to a Thread that will give you a feel for the accuracy potential of chronographs based on data - not D.ID's or other's opinions. They can be accurate and consistent. They will all, occasionally, record an errant velocity. If you buy an inexpensive one with only one velocity recorded per shot, then you'll often never know if you received a bad velocity. As soon as I starting running two chronographs concurrently, I recognized that I would never again run a single chronograph. The Oehler 35P is the only factory chronograph I'm aware of that provides a 'proof' channel feature which provides the second recorded velocity for each and every bullet fired. My setup now provides me with four velocities for each bullet fired. I'm able to identified flawed data when they occasionally occur with this setup.

Are they worth it? Depends on your interest and application. D.ID tells you no. It would appear he experiences huge disappointment when others don't agree with his findings and conclusions. Not just with respect to chronographs. So I've given you a link to some examples of data recorded with my chronographs and you can reach your own conclusions and opinion about what might be best for you. If you're interested enough to complete the entire Thread, then maybe you'll appreciate owning and using a chronograph. If not, you may not find the cost and benefits and time to be 'worth' it.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have a beta that is POS. My buddy has one and it works awesome. Gave same reading as drop tests. Mine, never worked, never will, going back to Cabela's today.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

One thing about this sight is that you can get so many opinions that your left wondering what to do .................The thing about velocity it that you have no idea if it right or not. I would guess that if you had two together that might give your mind some rest. Its like one of the guys I work with that swears that his Cronograph is accurate, his 25-06 with the 120gr is getting 3700 fps.
I have two rifles, a .243 Ackley shooting a 95gr Berger using 48gr of RL19 shoots great, have no idea the velocity..........
The other is a .19 Badger shooting a 32gr with 17.8gr of AA2200 there again I can only guess .............
I once had a .222 that I loaded a 46gr Calhoon with 23.0 gr of H322 The books said I should be getting 3200.................I ran it through a friends Crono and it said I was getting right at 2900.................
It would be nice to know for SURE without spending $$$$$$$ to find out.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Bronze Member

The best inexpensive chronograph BAR NONE is the Pro Chrono Digital. Picks up every bullet fired even remotely close to the screens and is easy to use.
If you have a laptop add the USB Connectivity kit and you have a full function remote control with data handling capabilities.
Tried many different chronographs and if you don't wish to spend the money for a Oehler 35p or a PVM-21 you simply will not get better performance than you get with the Pro Chrono Digital.
As to whether they work and are useful the answer is emphatically yes. Combine a PCD with the Pressure Trace system and QuickLoad and you have some awesome capabilities.
I have all three systems and it's astonishing how well they all correlate with actual results on paper.
Uncanny.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

I have done back to back tests of three chronographs, the PCD, the SC Beta, and the Oehler 35.
Setting them all up in line so one bullet trips all three I found them all to be very consistent. The closest one always recorded a higher speed than the furthest one for instance.
The SC Beta missed about half the shots but when it did read them even that POS gave speeds consistent with the others.

Talk to Ken Oehler about chronographs and you'll be talking to the leading light in the chronograph world. He'll tell you that making the crystal clock incredibly accurate is the easy part. Making good sensors is much more difficult.
The PCD has good sensors.