Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Crazy thought/question for Fiftydriver.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Silver Member
Re: Crazy thought/question for Fiftydriver.......

Does the means justifies end? We are looking to extend the range of our projectiles by shooting higher bc bullets extremely fast. A sabot has several problems to overcome before it can be a feasible solution. It's easier and more effective to neck a 20mm down to 7mm with a 320g solid bronze projectile. This type of round uses current technology upsized, but barrel technology lacks the longevity to make the cost worth the end.

It's a great idea if we could overcome the issues. The current principles can get us farther. The Germans in WWII used current technology to fire projectiles into low earth orbit.
Beware the fury of a patient man....

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..

Unread 08-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

My 505 Gibbs muzzleloader routinely shoots sub MOA @ 3k fps using a 150 grain 8mm Sierra Game King bullet.

My most accurate bullet was a bullet that I machined from free machining brass based on a Flatau design. I was concerned that the internal pressure could rupture this design and have not tried it on game.

Here is a picture of my first attempt which were made from copper, but they were too soft:

Unread 08-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Gold Member

I have about 950 BMG sabots (30 cal), anyone want them, make an offer. send email

"Let the good times roll"