Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Crazy Berger Ogives...... W/ PICS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Crazy Berger Ogives...... W/ PICS

I've been working up a load on my 22-243 AI with 90 gr Berger VLDs, and got it shooting good enough for me. The group below is the first 6 shots fired at 296 yds. The wild one is 1 1/2" high, but the other 5 are at a dime. I want to keep shooting this load...BUT... I just found out that the Ogives and Bullet Lengths are different in each box of bullets. Most of the boxes are close with each other, but the bullets I used in working up this load are shorter and fatter than the rest of the boxes... so what do I do now. Here is what I have.....

Ogive to base measures... .703 total bullet length is....1.225 (my workup length)

Most of the bullets in the other boxes average a ogive measurement of...
660-670....with total length = 1.265-70

AND>>>> AND>>>>> When I seated a .703 bullet and a .670 bullet with the same seating depth measurement as I was before... the 703 bullet had a total length of 2.782.... and the .670 measured a total of 2.831.

Man O Man.... that's a .49 spread difference.

So what do I do now.... start my workup all over again with the .670 bullets... since I've only got a few more of the .703...?

I'm hoping you guys have a better answer than starting all over again.... thanks....Dan

Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 PM

Re: Crazy Berger Ogives...... W/ PICS

Don't worry about cartridge over all length, measure with a comparorator ( I us hornadys) and measure cartridge base to ogive. This will ensure your bullet engages the rifling the same every time. Who cares about how long the total cartridge is
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM

How are you measuring your base to ogive? If you are using some type of bullet comparator, you should be getting closer dimension than that. I wouldn't be concerned with cartridge overall length except that it fits in a magazine if you using a repeater. Most shooters looking for accuracy are seating their bullets to the same bottom of case to ogive dimension not overall cartage length. Did you shoot more groups to see if they were the same or is this a one time deal? Try it again. Results may surprise you.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Are the part numbers on the boxes the same? Berger has had at least two versions of 90 gr 22 cal bullets.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

When I get a new box I pull out the Hornady lock n load oal gauge tool. Get the bullet ogive to touch the lands, measured multiple times until I'm confident I got it right. Then I go shoot and recheck zero and drops to confirm all is well. This is why I buy my bullets in the 500 ct boxes. For my 7 mag I bought two 500ct boxes from the same run. I haven't had any problems doing it this way yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

The part numbers on the boxes are not all the same, because these bullets are scarce and you have to buy them from guys who have a box or two for sale... so getting group lots all the same was not possible.

I've been using Hornys bullet comparator for the ogive measurements. When the bullets were the same length, I was using the full total length of the round as my measurement... but now... as you guys have said... I'll focus on the length from ogive to shell base... which should make the closer to being right. BUT... that will pull the bullets out futher towards the lands, which will change pressure and fps.... won't it...?

This group below is shot at the same bullseye, but at 360 yds... which dropped a little lower than that other group as you can see. That is 4 shots in that smaller group... and the wider one is to the right... my buddy says it was me or the wind... either way... I'm calling the group of 4 to be the TRUE group...or point of impact.
This is the second time I tried for longer groups with this load, with .703 ogive bullets... past 100 yds... so I'm wanting to keep this load.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
The part numbers on the boxes are not all the same, because these bullets are scarce and you have to buy them from guys who have a box or two for sale... so getting group lots all the same was not possible.
Part numbers and lot numbers are two different things. What are the part numbers?