Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Coyote gun opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Coyote gun opinions

Last time here I asked about reloading my deer rifle and now it's time to start thinking of another pet rifle. Providing my ex ever gives me back the money she owes me I'm wanting to start coyote hunting. Sounds like it's a lot of fun and a great reason to get a new gun. Also it's a year round sport. I'm looking for something in a 243 or 22-250 and that will be good out to ~500 (really long shot to me, more likely 350-400) and not too heavy for a lot of walking. It'll also account for a few groundhogs hopefully too.

The ones I've read about and sound okay are:
Savage Predator Hunter
Remington Model Seven Predator
Weatherby Sub-MOA Varmint

What do you think the pros and cons are of these and what one would you pick and why? I'm also open to caliber selection too, I'm leaning towards 243. I'm not worried about the hides, just dead coyotes. Any other reasonable priced rifles I should add to the list? I'd kinda like to stay in the above price range.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Re: Coyote gun opinions

Here is my new calling rifle. Remington 700 SPS Varmint 243 w/ Nikon Monarch 4x16x42sf

Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. I looked at one of those but wasn't sure how much of a help or hinderance the weight and barrel length would be. I'm not great at calling yet so I wanted to keep the option open to do some spot and stalk type hunting as well. Is your rig fairly mobile as far as carrying for some stalking type hunting or is it best left to being stationary?

What bullets are you shooting in your 243 and how do they shoot? I really like the idea of a 243 but was afraid I'd be the person to get one that didn't like the lighter varmint type bullets. Anything you'd like to change about your rifle?

Sorry if I'm full of questions. Just wanting to find out what's best before I put down a lot of money.

I will admitt, that is a fine looking rifle.

Chris
Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 AM

I just got this rifle a few weeks ago so I havent tried alot of different bullet weights yet. Right now Im shooting Hornady 75gr HP and they shot under a inch at a 100yrds yesterday with 24mph winds.

With the scope and ammunition this gun is close to 10-12 pounds, but I havent weighed it yet. I plan on cutting and crowning the barrel to make it a little more calling friendly. Its probally not the best rifle for a spot and stalk type hunting althought it wouldnt be too bad and you know you have accuracy when you pull it up to your shoulder...

I plan on getting a better stock for it as well.

Of the three rifles you listed above I would choose the Model Seven Predator and put a quality scope on it.

Last edited by Rmitch223; 10-02-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

If you are not going to build a rifle or maybe even if you are you need to look very close at the tikka t3. 223 22250 or 243. They will all shoot factory ammo in the 1/2 moa range. Weigh almost nothing and cost very little. I bought my 1st one in a 223 just for coyotes. I almost bought a model 7 but opted for the tikka insted b/c of the twist to shoot big bullets if I wanted. There is not a better value in a walking coyote rifle period. My 2 cents.
T
Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

i have killed over 250 coyotes. my opinion is the only rifle in your list that might capable of the long shots is the weatherby moa. my first choice would be a remington with a krieger barrel; or a sendero, or a tikka varmint. shoot a group at five hundred and see. it takes a real good rifle and ammo.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 AM

I am in the same beginning stages of coyote hunting, I bought a Thomson Center I-Bolt in 22-250. It shoots better than I can , but I have gotten moa at a 100yds. I really like this rifle, It is not heavy as far as I am concerned, Don't have the weight of it, but it is a realy good looking and handling rifle.