Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cosine gages

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Bronze Member

Cosine gages

I'm relatively new to this game, but have been reading posts daily for a month or so and have a question. There have been quite a few discussions about useing cosine indicators; the consensus being that the gages are good, but they lack sufficient detail in reading the cosine to be depended on for long range shots (extrapolation is necessary). If I am reading posts correctly, most shooters are using a PDA with a ballistics program to get corrected come ups/downs, and that the cost of the cosine gages is somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 - 100 dollars.
My question is why not go with a digital incline instrument that reads the angle to the nearest .1 degree for $100 (http://store.yahoo.com/ascscientific/smardigclin.html). A PDA is being used anyway and the cosine of the angle could easily be fugured using it.
Give me some help before I do my typical thing and spend $100 only to find that what I did was bass-ackwards.
Brassbender
Old 01-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cosine gages

Brass Bender
Most PDA programs that I have seen and used only require the known angle not the cos.(program knows the cos)
Anyway you find the angle will work!
after you know the angle plug it into the program.
I think most of the debat is that "the cos X the known distance" WILL NOT WORK AT LONG DISTANCE
You need to field verify your comeups with the program to know if the info is right for you or adjust the bullet BC to get the program to match your actual drop.
CAM
Old 01-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. But how you gonna use it in the field?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Brass Bender,
Your link to these digital incline/angle insruments didn't go through. Tell me more about them please, I have not seen them. Where do I get one and how do they work? Also, do you have to attach them to the gun?
Thanks for your reply in advance! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] --goodgrouper
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Bronze Member

Goodgrouper;
The instrument is an ASC scientific model and can be found on their site. Here's what their post has to say about the device:

The SmartTool digital level is a durable field tool that can be used as a level, plumb and clinometer. It digitally displays angles in degrees, percent slope and pitch (inches of rise or fall per linear foot) to an accuracy of 1/10 degree.
Controls include:

ON/OFF - automatic shut-off if left idle for 6 minutes
HOLD - freeze or unfreeze display readings
LISTEN & LEVEL AUDIO - beeper will sound at level and plumb
CALIBRATE - simple two-step calibration procedure (recommended once per day)
Deg.,%,IN/FT - select display units
UP/DOWN ARROWS - show direction of tilt to reach level or plumb
LOW BATTERY - low 9V battery indicator
Dimensions are 6" x 1 1/2" x 2". Weight 7 1/2 oz. Housed in environmentally sealed polycarbonate housing. 9 volt battery provides up to 120 hours of continuous use.

BTW, we are from the Provo area, and will be back there in about 10 months. Like to meet you and do some shooting.
Brassbender
Old 01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Brass Bender,
thanks for the post, and I would love to go shooting with you when you get back!
Could you post me the website address for the product?
Also, I helped a guy this fall with a cool gun (nesika bay rifle) and he said he had parents living in Russia. You wouldn't be part of the Legas family would you??
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

Goodgrouper;

You don’t by chance work at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Provo do you? If so, I think you know my son-in-law.

You have basically the same questions that I have on this whole thing. I think that I have decided to purchase the Smart Tool Digital Inclinometer and not mount it on a rifle – it is small and light and won’t add that much to the pile of stuff that I will be packing along. I have a Hewlett Packard iPAQ PDA that I am installing Exbal on. My plan is to use the inclinometer to read the angle of incline to the nearest .1 degree, enter the information into Exbal on the PDA, and go from there.

I have arrived at this conclusion because from all that I have read, it seems that the software programs give the best (most accurate) results. Even “W” who manufactures the ACI recommends the use of Exbal. The ONLY criticism of the ACI that I have seen on these posts is that it reads out to the nearest 5 degrees, which some folks claim is not accurate enough for really long ranges. I think that you could site along the top surface of the digital inclinometer and get a reading much more accurate than that, especially when considering that military snipers used to use a protractor and string in the same way. The clincher for me is that the digital unit is essentially the same price as the ACI gage. It just seems to me that in long range shooting there are so many variables to contend with that tightening the degree of accuracy in any area has to improve chances of success.

Thanks for the chance to talk shooting with you.