Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

CORN MEAL.......AINT JUST FOR BISCUTS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

CORN MEAL.......AINT JUST FOR BISCUTS!

I was reading a post in here and I think it was Fiftydriver talking about the corn meal fire form method? Anyone feel like teaching? Ive never heard of it...... Im all ears....and would this be used when forming brass for his 300EX?

Saving money and learning all I can!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: CORN MEAL.......AINT JUST FOR BISCUTS!

Not sure what the .300EX is, but I just formed a batch of brass last weekend with this method. I was making .270 OTTR brass which is a .243WSSM necked up to .277" and the shoulder reformed.

Cases were primed with CCI250, charged with 10gr of Bullseye, half sheet of toilet paper stuffed on top of the powder, then the case is filled with a "Cream of Wheat" type cereal and packed tight to the mid point of the shoulder and topped with another half sheet of TP to the top of the neck. This powder charge in the WSSM cases forms them to about 95-98%.

I use a capped pen to pack the first piece of TP, cereal and last piece of TP.

The makes a loud pop when fired so where eye/ear protection. And it's not a bad idea to patch the bore every 5-7 rounds. The only thing to change for larger/smaller cartridge would be the powder charge. Think I heard someone (BlackDiamond 408 or Fifty) mention that they use around 50gr of a FAST pistol powder in the .408 based rounds.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Gold Member

Who, in their right mind, would make biscuits with cornmeal?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

I have formed thousands of rounds using a case 3/4 full of Bullseye--the trick is to slightly expand the neck to get a good seal and put a piece of cotton ball on top of the powder to keep it in the case. A little trick I learned from Speedy at SG&Y--he has done a couple of hundred thousand or more over the years this way. Perfect cases every single time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Called "indian bread"! you all got the point. And that should have been AX!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Bronze Member

I need to form a bunch of 22-k hornets from hornet brass. Does anyone have a method they would recommend for this or should i just shoot some cheap bullets.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I need to form a bunch of 22-k hornets from hornet brass. Does anyone have a method they would recommend for this or should i just shoot some cheap bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tough stuffing TP and cereal into the little .22 necks of the Hornet. Try this...I've done it before with some small capacity 6mm wildcats. Melt wax onto a piece of wax paper using a circular object to make a form...such as the inside of a masking tape roll...make the wax about 1/4" thick. After it cools, remove the wax from the paper and inside of the tape roll. Load the cases with about 4gr of Bullseye and jam the neck into the wax disk to create a plug.

If the powder charge does not fully form the case then bump it up a grain or two.