Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Copper Fouling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Copper Fouling?

Tried my new barrel out for the first time yesterday. I cleaned after the first 5 shots and then fired a 5 shot group. I cleaned the gun when I got home and these are the patches. Top left was the first patch that was soaked in copper cleaner. The next 4 are dry patches after the Hoppes set in there for about 10 minutes. I then scrubbed the bore with a wire brush and ran two more damp patches through it, the bottom two. I was clean as could be after that. The barrel has only had 10 shots through it, does this look like excessive copper fouling?

Unread 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Copper Fouling?

looks like carbon fouling to me... unless its blue and I cant tell.. but I reccomend buying some wipe out. I have tried almost every cleaner out there and I have to say the ease of spraying something in the bore then just wiping it out makes me like cleaning guns a lot more that I used to.

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Unread 07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

I find that the copper comes out easily in most of my barrels but the carbon is the real job to get out and that looks like what you are encountering.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I would have to say it is not broke in yet.

Try cleaning until it comes clean, and then shoot one round and clean for at least 10 rounds,
then shoot 3 shot groups and see how well/fast it cleans up.

You have nothing to lose and you may greatly improve the resistance to foul.

When proper break in is performed normally you begin to see/feel the improvements after
8 or 9 shots.