Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cooper Rifle Help!!! Single Shot??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Cooper Rifle Help!!! Single Shot??

I have a chance to pick up a couple of Cooper rifles. The only thing though is both are single shots.

I know that Cooper line offers a lot of single shot models. My thoughts are, why?

Can I get some feedback about on the Cooper single shots of why someone would purchase a single shot rifle over a repeater? And if you did, did you regret buying a single shot later on?

Do the single shot rifles sell for less than a repeater?

Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cooper Rifle Help!!! Single Shot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Jock View Post
I have a chance to pick up a couple of Cooper rifles. The only thing though is both are single shots.

I know that Cooper line offers a lot of single shot models. My thoughts are, why?

Can I get some feedback about on the Cooper single shots of why someone would purchase a single shot rifle over a repeater? And if you did, did you regret buying a single shot later on?

Do the single shot rifles sell for less than a repeater?

Thanks!!
The only Cooper single shot rifles I've really been around much are 22 rimfires, and they are extremely good rifles. They won't run with the big dogs very well (like a Calfee XP100 conversion), but at least shoot as well if not better the the Remington mod. 40 series. I have seen a couple Cooper single shot varmit rigs, and they shot extremely well!

The single shot action will usually be stiffer and thus flex less under high pressures. (about all I shoot anymore). I don't own a Cooper. My single shots are all Savage and Remington conversions, and have zero desire for a varmit rig in a repeater action anymore. You'll learn to shoot slower, and thus keep heat out of the barrel a little better. Plus your not tied down to an overall length restricted by the length of the mag well. If you can get the round inside the reciever you probably can shoot it (as long as it fits the chamber of course)
gary
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Gary hit with you with a great answer.

What calibers and what prices.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Here is an opinion from a reverse angle:

I have two Coopers. Both were special orders (6mo+) and both are repeaters. A model 54 varminter in 22-250 and a model 52 Jackson Game in 280AI. Both shoot 1/2 MOA, no internet BS.

I insisted on the repeaters for hunting reasons - in the field I thought having a few extra rounds in the box was a necessity. Maybe it is. BUT:

- 100% of the time when target shooting I load one at a time (don't use the magazine).

- I have never had a follow up shot in the field with either rifle.

If I were presented with the right deal on a Cooper single shot action, I would not hesitate.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM

I have a Cooper Phoenix 6.5x284 single shot. I love the rifle .5-.75 Moa to 1270 with the right shooter. I hunt the Oregon coast wanted a rifle for longrange clear cuts. I took a nice bull with it this hunting season. You can reload pretty fast once you get use to it and practice. I love the rifle and don't feel that Im at much of a disadvantage with the single shot. I almost didn't order it because it was a single shot but im happy i did
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

By the way, you can go to the Cooper site and "build" your rifle. That will give you an idea of current pricing. And yes there should be a good discount for used, at least that is how I feel, very few people take care of a rifle the way I do.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm a bit leery on a single shot thinking that later on I might regret buying one. I've always been a repeater, semi auto guy.

But as far as using it for hunting, I probably wouldn't. I have plenty of hunting rifles now that I can use.
My main purpose would probably be paper shooting and maybe some prairie shooting.

These Cooper rifles are selling on an auction. All are Varminters, and Montana Varminters, except for the .22 LR, and .22 WMR.
The other calibers are, 22-250, 223 Ackely Improved, 222, 22BR, 204 Ruger, 243, and 20VT.

Any suggestion on what calibers to go for? And what sort of price to pay for one. Considering they are in good to excellent condition.
My thought on price would be $1000.00.