Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cooper - Headspace?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

Cooper - Headspace?

In my post below I described having issues with trying to get my new Cooper in 7mm-08 to shoot.
I've only shot new brass but have noticed some rounds show a bit more resistance chambering than others. On a whim I decided to measure the headspace with an RCBS precision mic. I realize these aren't the most precise tool to do this but it's all I have.
What I found is that some of the new brass is actually about 0.001" - 0.002" too long. I find this to be somewhat unusual as I've seen factory rifles with too much headspace but never one with not enough. Most of the new brass measures the same or a tad more than my fired cases.
Do you think this could be the cause of the so so accuracy I've got so far?

Last edited by deertroy1; 10-19-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cooper - Headspace?

My smith was telling me about another cooper that was brought into his shop with that same problem.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPGfan View Post
My smith was telling me about another cooper that was brought into his shop with that same problem.
So did it cause poor accuracy in that gun?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure, just know that it shot great after he ran a reamer in it and the guy no longer had to beat the bolt handle closed with new brass. The question I had was if Cooper test fires all rifles and sends out a target with them, how did they not catch it?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Good question. Mine isn't that bad. It's hardly noticeable during closing the bolt. Most rounds close normally but there is just a slight resistance on a few rounds. However, I haven't found anything that will shoot yet.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

None of this is indicative of a Cooper rifle problem at this point.
You should chill out, fireform some brass in it, and work up a good load -like everybody else.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
None of this is indicative of a Cooper rifle problem at this point.
You should chill out, fireform some brass in it, and work up a good load -like everybody else.
I do not recall stating anywhere that it was a Cooper problem.......yet! Thus my reason for posting here and possibly getting advise from others with more knowledge and a different point of view than me before contacting Cooper.

I don't have a go-gage so I can not be absolutely sure about the headspace problem. I do think factory rounds should chamber without any problem in a standard factory round that ammo is readily available for (not a wildcat or Improved).

Your probably right about chilling out I guess my pateince is wearing a little thin after having returned this rifle once already because the first one had an issue with barrel runout (confirmed by Cooper).

Hopefully the copper fouling will ease with more break-in. If not, that sometimes happens, I'll have to live with it. It doesn't mean I have to be happy about it however.

Finally, Cooper has been great in their handling of everything so far.