Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Controlled round feed vs push feed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Controlled round feed vs push feed.

I own both, but will only use CRF for a dangerous game rifle.

I hunted with a PH who used a 450 Ackley on a Win Mod 70 push feed and he had experienced extraction problems on several occassions in the past and was looking for a CRF. The lack of taper on the 450 case, small extractor and a dusty chamber and high temperatures all added up to a problem. Most CRF designs will avoid that.

The one benefit of a push feed that should be mentioned is that you can drop a cartridge in the chamber, or on the mag follower and feed it in. With a CRF you generally need to get the rim of the case behind the extractor first. When hunting DG there may be times you need to drop a round in an empty gun, then the push feed will win and you'll need to get the cartridge into the mag to feed from most CRF designs. For the same reason the CRF can suffer in capacity if that bothers you. My Win CRF allows for 3 in the mag and I can push another last round in far enough to enable the extractor to grab the rim, so mine is 3+1. In a push feed you always get mag capacity plus 1, some CRF's only give you mag capacity as the mag is too full to go the plus 1.

Yes, push feeds are fine if manipulated correctly. Sometimes that's not possible and stress casues all sorts of muscle memory problems. I've double feed jammed and had failure upsidedown (also a problem with short cartridges in long actions) when testing my push feeds to see if it's potentially a problem - and it is. Obviously I fed slowly in one case, and double stroked intnetionally the next.

My longer range rifles are currently push feed and I have no preference. I don't intend to cycle them under huge pressure, or upsidedown (the bipod won't work that way :-)).
Old 02-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Re: Controlled round feed vs push feed.

Right on the money LRHWAL! A good freind of mine profesional hunter Fred Duckworth use to use an older Wetherby Mark V 460 as back up. He has also had extraction problems one time shooting a charging lion if memory serves me correctly. He was very glad the he only needed one shot. He also had problems with the floor plate popping open from the heavy recoil of the 460. He used to tape up the floor plate with duck tape to keep it from popping open. He now uses a double 470.

When I go after the stuff that can hurt me I will be carrying my Anson-Deely 500 3 1/4" double, it is by far my most favorite rifle.

It always seems that Mr. Murphy shows his ugly face more often in Africa than anywhere else. Don't you think so?