Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Controlled round feed vs push feed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Controlled round feed vs push feed.

Hey guys,

Looking for opinions and experience with both. Pluses and minuses of each. Is it caliber specific? Or is one just better than the other?

Thanks, Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Controlled round feed vs push feed.

I guess I'm not so much asking about the controlled round feed, but the claw extractor. How desirable is it to have the bullet held onto by the bolt? I guess it does not seem like a big deal to me, I have never run the bolt w/ the rifle up side down. Some one tell me what I don't know.

Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

For long range I doubt it's necessary - or even desireable. Some may argue that contolled round feed actions are less accurate. I have no idea whether that it the case. Some will argue not having an ejector under the case head is actually an advantage...

This though is the guts of it - if it's relevant to what you intend to use the rifle for (like DG hunting) it's a consideration, if not then don't sweat it in my opinion...

This is from something I needed to put into a firearm licence application, it was based on descriptions found on the net (don't recall whose)!!

A controlled-round feed type action will feed correctly with the rifle held at any angle and even upside down. Controlled-round feed designs also prevent double feeds. This is because when the extractor has captured one cartridge, a second cannot leave the magazine without the first being ejected. Either way, only one cartridge makes it into the chamber. With a push-feed action design, incorrect operation (particularly “double stroking” the bolt) can result in two cartridges trying to enter the chamber at once, jamming the rifle with potentially catastrophic results for the hunter of dangerous game.

Full length, Mauser type extractors not only increase feeding reliability, but they take a bigger bite on the rim of the fired case, making the extraction of dirty or oversize cases, or those affected by pressure due to high ambient temperatures, more certain. Most other designs do not take as positive a grip on the case rim as a Mauser claw extractor, making failures to extract more likely.

Professional hunters and those who have a lot of experience hunting dangerous game and particularly African dangerous game in hot climates with bolt action rifles widely favour controlled-round feed designs, such as the Mauser Model 98, Ruger Model 77 and Winchester Classic Model 70.

Last edited by LRHWAL; 02-04-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: grammar!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks LRHWAL,

It's your first line that I am interested in exploring. If there is any truth to the ability of one action type to be inherently more accurate? If not, it seems that the controlled round feed the better action.

Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I guess I'm not so much asking about the controlled round feed, but the claw extractor. How desirable is it to have the bullet held onto by the bolt? I guess it does not seem like a big deal to me, I have never run the bolt w/ the rifle up side down. Some one tell me what I don't know.

Steve

A push feed wil cycle just fine upside down if you cycle the bolt properly
Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Bronze Member

I've owned 3 Remington 700's and 3 Winchester Model 70 Classic (CRF) rifles. I now only own the Winchester rifles. The Remington's were great rifles...I just prefer the CRF in my rifles now.

I truly believe it will boil down to YOUR personal preference on the action.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM

LRHWAL gives a very good explanation, I prefer control round feed for most of my hunting rifles. The accuracy advantage of the push feed action such as Rem 700, Savages and custom actions lie in the faster "lock time" those actions have over the Ruger, Mod 70, Mauser 98, and Springfield.

If I was going to have a long range or target rig made I would choose a highly tuned Rem 700 action. I have several medium and large bore rifles all on Mauser actions. The reason? You can get parts for a Mod 98 Mauser in some really remote areas of Africa where I sometimes hunt, but I also carry two extra parts with me when I go, a firing pin assembly and an extractor. Those are the only thing that can break on a 98. Break an extractor on a Rem 700 (although pretty reliable but I have heard of them breaking) and it may just ruin your hunt.