Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

construction of wildcat bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 AM

construction of wildcat bullets

Hello

Could anyone tell me something about the construction of wildcat Bonded Core FBHP bullets. Is it pretty much like the accubonds or swift scirocco? Or is it a partition construction?

Thanks for the info - Labrador
Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: construction of wildcat bullets

Labrador,

It is different then all the bullets you list. The Accubond and Sciroccos have a very thick jacket, especially at the base of the bullet.

The Scirocco has an extremely heavy jacket. IF your bore is dimensioned correctly for this bullet they shoot very well, if it is a bit to tight or to loose, you can have accuracy problems.

The Accubond is similiar except the jacket is not quite as heavy and is made from guilding metal instead of soft copper. This offers less bore fouling. Still with an oversized bore, you can still have accuracy problems with the Accubond.

THe Wildcat BCFBHPs are built on a relatively conventional cup jacket such is seen on bullets like those from Sierra, Hornady and such. Only difference is that you have the option for much heavier jackets then these if you want. Generally a 0.030" thick jacket is all we would ever need in North America even with the big magnum rounds.

The advantage of this is that these bullets will bump up or swage down easier to match your bore then the other bullets you list. This generally translated to much more consistant accuracy from one rifle to another.

In a tight bore they shoot EXTREMELY tight groups. In a looser bore they tend to need to be driven to pretty high pressures but at top loads they shoot extremely well also.

This is the best feature of these bullets besides their bonded core on game performance, they are generally very consistant and accurate over a wide range of bore diameters.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

Hey Kirby,
While we're on the wildcat bullets discussion, do you have any estimated BC numbers for some of Richards .277 bullets (130, 140, & 150 J-4 jacket and Bonded hunting bullets).

NOTE: I'm not trying to bring up another BC arguement about Richards bullets. I don't have the means to accurately test BC's.

Thanks,
Dana
Old 09-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

270 WSM,

I am sorry to report that I have only tested one bullet in the 270 Wildcat line and that is the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT. I flat fell in love with that bullet and looked no farther in the big Allen Magnum.

With that bullet the bullet drop figures are saying a BC in the .730 range but remember this is only from bullet drop testing out to 1200 yards or so.

I have not performed velocity testing at a range that would provide an accurate BC value so I use the drop test method.

Sorry on this one.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

No problem Fifty, I was just wondering how Richards bullets would compare in BC to other bullet manufacturers with similar bullet weights. I love the idea of the 169.5grn bullets, but would like more horsepower to toss them with. Maybe you'll have to build me an AM in the near future.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

I was curious as to what the estimated bc of the .257" 125g?? I just shot a 3.5" 4 shot group at 525 yards with my 25-06 and the 110g Accubond. I am just trying to find the most accurate load is all. Also was wondering if the 125g would stabilize in my barrel?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

25-06, What twist do you have? Kirby built me a 25-284 with a 1:10" twist and it shoots them into a half inch group at 200 yards. I am going to shoot at 400 here real soon. Unfortunately I will be archery elkhunting for the next two weeks so I won't have anything to report.