Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Consistancy in zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Consistancy in zero

Jerry Teo- It's my 25-06 that is the one in question, and yes, it's a wood stock; I made it years ago, but I have rebedded it a couple of times over the years. Wwhen I moved from Newport Beach, CA (hi humidity), to Sacramento (dry) I rebedded all my stocks, and they all needed it. The 25-06 is a Mauser action and I bed them only on the back side of the recoil lug, the flat just behind the lug, around the tang, and about the first inch of the barrel. I always bed my rifles in a completely relaxed position, by holding them in position with masking tape while the epoxy goes off.

The 270 that you asked about is a 700 Mountain Rifle in original wood stock, but I pillar bedded it before I shot it. The barrel is completely free floating. The 7 Rem mag is in a glass/ carbon stock that I made myself, and is bedded like the Mauser.

I don't think the problem is bedding. Could be that it's cartridge specific, but it might be connected to other things, like barrel vibration, but this should be controlled by barrel length and weight, as well as by bedding. Someone else on this forum, talking about something else, talked about bracketing loads and watching velocity spread in the interest of consistancy in accuracy. I think I'll play with that.

Thanks for the input.

jmbn