Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Considering options for a long range rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Considering options for a long range rifle

What about the 338 edge? They shoot great and don't require the lapua bolt face. Grab a long action remington 700 and have it trued up. Also I believe the 338 edge Bertram brass is made in your country. Im about done load testing mine with 300 gr bergers as its shooting under an inch at 300, the vertical at 300 has been consistently around .3" with this load. The 1000 yard vertical is right around 4 inches. Its been really windy here the last few weeks, 15 mph+ winds. Anxious to shoot groups when its not real windy. Ive been waiting for a calmer day so me and a customer can take our edges out to 1500+ yards. The edge is just another option for you to consider.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Bronze Member

I've been getting advice in Australia from a hunting forum, though I do trust the word of people from here more, and what's getting a lot of Kudos is a Remington 700 Sendero II in 300WM. What are peoples thoughts on them for a 1000 yd gun? Will they still have the down range energy with say a 190gn Berger Hunting rnd to put down an elk sized animal at that range or would I be better sticking with the original plan of a larger calibre?

Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_q8lGytlOHspljC7H6_AA
Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

If I were running a 300 win mag I would go with a Berger 215 hybrid. In the LRH game b.c and s.d mean more than velocity. The 215's can get going fast to due to a short bearing surface.

I wouldn't stray away from the .338 if you want a true hammer on Red Stag. A 300 Win will definitely get it done, just that the .338's do it better.
The Senduro is a great platform. You could always re-barrel to .338 Edge or RUM when the barrel is cooked.

The thing I would change in your setup is the scope. 8x on the bottom end is way to much optic unless you are shooting prairie dogs. If a trophy stag jumps up at 25 yards you will have some choice words running through your head.
I would look at a 3.5-15x50 or at a maximum 5.5-22x50. I do most of my hunting with a .338 RUM topped with a 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 (but would rather use a NF) and the field of view is just big enough that I can shoot something at 15 yards if I try really hard. It is more than ample for 1200 yards too.
I have shot 980 yards with my .243 and a 2.5-10x44 Vortex pst (coyote rifle), so 15x should be plenty.

I would also look at the MOAR reticle or the NP-R1 reticles or if your a metric guy (much better if your country uses it) the MIL-R reticule is VERY nice. reticles are a valuable tool to LR marksmen.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
The Senduro is a great platform. You could always re-barrel to .338 Edge or RUM when the barrel is cooked.
This is actually what is starting to make the most sense from my perspective for both money and ability.

I know what you're saying about the scope and it's something still on my mind.

Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_q8lGytlOHspljC7H6_AA
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHunter View Post
I've been getting advice in Australia from a hunting forum, though I do trust the word of people from here more, and what's getting a lot of Kudos is a Remington 700 Sendero II in 300WM. What are peoples thoughts on them for a 1000 yd gun? Will they still have the down range energy with say a 190gn Berger Hunting rnd to put down an elk sized animal at that range or would I be better sticking with the original plan of a larger calibre?
The Remington 700 is a great action or platform. when you buy any Remington 700 rifle, you are getting a good action. when you spend more on the sendero, you get a nicer stock and a heaver barrel. The heavy barrel is nice, but its not any more accurate than a pencil barrel, you are just getting more steel. if you want a good barrel, you have to have someone cut it for you and blueprint your action. if you buy factory 700 action, you may as well get the cheapest one you can find (even used because actions don't wear out) because all the 700 actions come out of the same bin. you are not getting a better action or barrel with a sendero or any other more expencive model, they are just prettier and heaver. no standard factory rifle, IMHO, is worth anything past 600 yards and that is with a really really good guy behind the trigger. if you want 1000 yards or meters, you have to go custom, there is just no other way around it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
The Remington 700 is a great action or platform. when you buy any Remington 700 rifle, you are getting a good action. when you spend more on the sendero, you get a nicer stock and a heaver barrel. The heavy barrel is nice, but its not any more accurate than a pencil barrel, you are just getting more steel. if you want a good barrel, you have to have someone cut it for you and blueprint your action. if you buy factory 700 action, you may as well get the cheapest one you can find (even used because actions don't wear out) because all the 700 actions come out of the same bin. you are not getting a better action or barrel with a sendero or any other more expencive model, they are just prettier and heaver. no standard factory rifle, IMHO, is worth anything past 600 yards and that is with a really really good guy behind the trigger. if you want 1000 yards or meters, you have to go custom, there is just no other way around it.
Wrong! The heavier barrel IS more accurate because it has more material on the sides of the bore. Which in-turn will reduce barrel-whip, because the barrel is more stiff.

Also wrong... If this is the case, then why do you NEVER hear about Senderos getting sent back to Remington to have them worked on for accuracy issues? I have shot and even owned 700 sporters that wouldn't shoot, but none of my Senderos and 5R MilSpec rifle have ever been anything but surgically accurate.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Wrong! The heavier barrel IS more accurate because it has more material on the sides of the bore. Which in-turn will reduce barrel-whip, because the barrel is more stiff.

Also wrong... If this is the case, then why do you NEVER hear about Senderos getting sent back to Remington to have them worked on for accuracy issues? I have shot and even owned 700 sporters that wouldn't shoot, but none of my Senderos and 5R MilSpec rifle have ever been anything but surgically accurate.
Dear Mudrunner. I have to take up exception here. Your personal experience (and your friends) does not prove any urban legend to be true. I just spoke with a Remington tech support on the phone named Zack (800)-243-9700) to confirm that I was not blowing smoke. For the record, Zack said that when you buy a Sendaro as opposed to an SPS you get the following: the same trigger, the same action, the same processes that cut the rifling's and chamber. What you get that is different is that the barrel weighs more, it has been polished, has been fluted, and there is an extra check to make sure there are no tooling marks on the rifle. You also get a nicer stock.

Now, having said that, you have a point on the barrel mostly because of the added weight, and, it gives you some stiffness. I think we all believe universally that these are accuracy producing features. In my opinion, at best, they may add 100-200 yards to the accuracy of your rifle. That doesn't turn a 500 yard gun into a 1000 yard gun which is what the original poster stated. Zack said that Remington makes no greater accuracy claims with either rifle.

My point was not to say that its not a more accurate rifle (albeit, splitting hairs) My point was that if you want to spend another $800, I feel it would be better spent buying a barrel and a good gunsmith yielding a 1500 yard capable rifle as opposed to a 700 yard rifle. I am in no way saying that the SPS and sendaro are the same and that one is not worth more than the other. My claim was regarding an accuracy vs cost comparison. I did not mention this, and I appoligize for that my friend. I should be more complete in my writing in the future.

I hope you take me as a friend, I don't mean to sound aggressive. we all have our opinions and our favorites and sometimes we spend our money believing one thing and then learn later that what we thought, may not have been the case, but our money is spent, and the salesman has collected his commission. I am not trying to start an argument, I am trying to help a guy not put his hard earned money in the wrong place.