Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Considering build, thoughts on components?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Considering build, thoughts on components?

I'm thinking about doing a full custom next spring. Never had a full custom done start to finish by a good gunsmith before. Use would be for deer, speed goats and elk. Cartridge would be the 7mm WSM shooting 168 or 180 gr VLD's. I have a 300 RUM for elk also so I don't need this rig to have lots of horsepower, just the option to use it if I want. So far I have a Timney 700 trigger and a new HS Precision Remington Varmint stock. I'm thinking Stiller TAC 30 short action(left handed of course), Sendero contour barrel 26" SS fluted 9 twist(not sure which maker yet but one of the respected ones), maybe a brake. Possibly Wyatts extended mag box since the Stiller is already machined for it and PTG aluminum bottom metal. One of the respected smiths here would be putting the whole thing together. I'd probably top it with my Leupold 6-18 AO with turrets. How does that sound?

NRA Life Member
Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Considering build, thoughts on components?

Sounds good so far. Do you have a barrel maker in mind? I've decided that all of my future barrels will be the Russian style/canted land. That is personal choice. This rules out buying a Hart barrel even though they make some of the finest barrels in the world. Even though my 1 Hart bbl is a real shooter, it fouled terribly and was the hardest to get cleaned.

Good luck with your build. By the way, I shoot LH also. I, too, am in my RIGHT mind.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

I would highly recommend Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles...His work is Flawless

570-437-2010

Tell him JUDD sent ya
Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Even though my 1 Hart bbl is a real shooter, it fouled terribly and was the hardest to get cleaned.
I've experienced the opposite. I've had two custom rifles done recently built on Rem 700 actions. The first is a .22-250AI using a Douglas Premium barrel. It shoots fairly well but copper fouls terribly. The second is a 7MM RUM with a 26" SS fluted Hart barrel. The Hart barrel fouling is very minimal and after a short break-in period is one of my best shooters. My next project is a 7mm-08 for my wife and I plan to ship it to Hart.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

IMHO, Defiance actions and a Broughton 5C are worth taking a look at too.

I've talked to Kevin Cram and actually have him doing a rechamber and rebarrel. Like many of the other fine "smiths" on this board Kevin is awesome to deal with.

In fact I have either discussed ideas or have used or am using no less than 6 different gunsmiths from LRH. All of which I new little to nothing about before joining LRH.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

The Stiller is a great action.
Looks like your timing is right because they are getting a group buy together over at snipershide.com.
Check it out.