Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

considering a 338xx?? or something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member
Re: considering a 338xx?? or something

Berger is a new Sponsor here and anticipate a new 0.338 bullet coming out next Summer. If the BC comes out near the numbers folks have bandied about, then make sure you have enough twist for this bullet.....IMO

I know folks say it needs to work in a 10 twist, but what if 9 or 9.5 is better?
If this bullet makes the Berger line then I will have a barrel for it

Unread 12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bajabill View Post
thanks all

woods - were you concerned with the longer cartridge working with the magazine, I did not think this was possible. Or were you worried about ejecting a chambered and NOT fired round? I had not considered that to be a potential issue.
I was concerned on both counts. The magazine I was working with in my Beretta Mato was long enough and the ejection port big enough so long as I seated the bullet pretty deep

Shoots pretty good though

If you can read this, thank a teacher.......if you are reading this in English, thank a soldier.
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Bronze Member

I have a 300rum case that I am going to plug with a long bullet and sample some OALs that will work thru my rifle, both the action and magazine.

I am investigating brake/compensators now. Since this is going on a savage action, and I will be taking it of and off, I am thinking a non-directional brake would be more forgiving. I dont shoot off of bipods so kicking up dirt has never been a consideration for me.